The healing properties of sea water and air have been known to people since ancient times. The knowledge accumulated over the centuries formed the basis of one of the areas of alternative medicine, a set of procedures called thalassotherapy.
A unique technique affects the human body as a whole, saturating it with macro- and microelements, contributing to comprehensive health promotion and rejuvenation. It combines many types of exposure, each of which is completely natural and safe.
Thalassotherapy is performed to reduce or completely eliminate cosmetic and medical problems. The technique is used to prevent age-related changes and chronic fatigue syndrome, restore physical strength, relieve stress. Among the specific indications for it are:
- dry skin;
- metabolic disease;
- reduced skin tone due to weight fluctuations.
Thalassotherapy is suitable for both men and women. It helps relieve stress, treat diseases of the spine and joints, restore the body after exercise and surgery.
Types of Thalassotherapy
What is thalassotherapy? First of all, it should be noted that this name does not characterize a single procedure, but a set of measures built on the basis of the healing properties of sea water, air, algae, dirt and even sunlight.
Thalassotherapy with sea water
It is used to carry out such procedures as hydromassage, wellness exercises, sea, salt baths. In sea water there are very useful elements (iodine, iron, zinc, selenium and others) that are almost completely absorbed by the human body, penetrating through the skin.
The contours of the body are positively affected by sea water massage. Its jets are supplied under pressure to problem areas and, due to their physical effects, stimulate muscles, normalize blood flow and the movement of intercellular fluid, and contribute to the breakdown of fats and the destruction of cellulite.
Hot sea baths are indicated for the treatment of back pain, but water with a temperature of up to 37 degrees is suitable for cosmetic and preventive purposes to relieve fatigue, improve metabolism, and fight obesity.
For the procedures, algae dried and ground to a powder state is used, before direct use they are diluted with sea water, and only then they are used for wrapping.
There are two types of procedures: hot wrap (algae are heated to 40 degrees) and cold. In the first case, the temperature ensures the active penetration of beneficial algae particles and additional additives into the dermis, as a result of which fatty deposits are reduced, cellulite is eliminated, and skin elasticity is increased.
The resulting effect of the sauna helps to remove accumulations of toxins and toxins, increase tone, optimize metabolism and lymph flow. Procedures of this kind are the best suited for the fight against fat cells and cellulite.
Cold wrap acts on blood vessels, enhances blood flow to the surface of the skin, provides its additional toning. As a result, metabolism improves, elasticity increases.
Dirt is extracted from the seabed at low tide. It is rich in magnesium and calcium, perfectly retains heat, is used for wraps, can be combined with algae or used by itself.
Cavitotherapy (sea air treatment)
Mineral particles contained in the air have a general healing effect on the body, saturate the lungs with oxygen and ozone, and remove toxins. The procedure is useful for strengthening immunity, restoration of the nervous system, general improvement of the skin condition.
As a rule, the above services in the complex are provided by large SPA centers located on the seashore or ocean.
What are the positive changes in the body that thalassotherapy provides? The complex effect, carried out over several days, leads to the following results:
- Moisturizing, restoring and rejuvenating the skin.
- Normalization of blood circulation and metabolism.
- The destruction of fat cells.
- Strengthening the movement of intercellular fluid, reducing cellulite.
- The removal of toxins and harmful substances from the body.
- Restoring the body after plastic surgery.
“Treatment by the sea” in any of its manifestations has certain contraindications. Experts unanimously assure that procedures and loads of this kind are not recommended for:
- A number of pathologies of the heart and blood vessels.
- The active stage of skin diseases.
- An acute form of respiratory disease.
- Allergies or iodine intolerance.
- Pathology of the thyroid gland.
Thalassotherapy is practiced in more than 100 countries of the world, however, the technique has achieved the greatest effectiveness only in some resorts. The most popular are:
- Dead Sea. It is the undisputed leader in the number of mineral salts. A large amount of oxygen is present in the air, while its humidity is minimal, and allergens are practically absent. For medical and cosmetic procedures, sea air and water, mud, water from thermal springs are used here. The main direction in cosmetology is the treatment of skin diseases, dermatology.
- Mediterranean Sea. It features warm water and a high salt content. In these places, the development of aesthetic medicine is actively practiced (restoration of metabolism, the fight against cellulite, fat deposits).
- Black Sea. Russian resorts do not lag behind foreign ones and are actively practicing this type of recovery. In addition to sea water with iodine and chlorine, treatment is carried out with the help of mineral waters and mud. Distinctive climatic features are high climate humidity, moderate air temperature. In addition to cosmetic procedures, wellness events are held on the Black Sea.
Currently, many spa centers are open and far from the sea, but their effectiveness remains a big question. Firstly, recreational natural impact in cities is completely absent, as well as fresh air with minerals, the absence of gases, exhausts and allergens. In addition, the seawater used for the procedures is drawn directly from the water area and is used within 24 hours after collection.
Thalassotherapy or “treatment by the sea” is a complex treatment technique carried out with the aim of healing and rejuvenating, improving the condition of the skin, combating cellulite and excess weight. It implies the effects of sea water, algae, air and healing mud. It is carried out through such procedures as: body wraps, salt baths, gymnastics in the pool, water massage, air therapy. It has a minimum of contraindications and does not have side effects.