At the end of a beauty procedure such as chemical exfoliation, a burn always appears after peeling, what should I do if it causes a lot of inconvenience, both aesthetic and physical? Painful injury to the skin with acidic compounds is a significant argument that stops many women from trying to try anti-aging peeling on themselves. Clients of cosmetology clinics fear the irreversible consequences that chemical treatment of the face can cause. In fact, there is nothing to worry about after a peeling burn, and you can cope with such a skin reaction even at home.
Post-peeling burn: normal or side effect
Among all cosmetic procedures for rejuvenation, facial peeling is one of the most demanding. Especially when it comes to chemical effects on the skin with special preparations. Such exfoliation requires patience and discipline from the client, and high professionalism and attentiveness from the cosmetologist.
A post-peeling reaction can trigger any cleansing procedure. What will be the response of the body’s immune system depends on the type of peeling and the depth of penetration of the active substances into the layers of the epidermis. For example, harmless manual or ultrasonic cleaning as well as cryotherapy can leave only a blush or dryness, and a medium or deep treatment of the skin with acid concentrates will result in a wide allergy: irritation, swelling, peeling, or even a chemical burn. All these manifestations after peeling to a certain extent are permissible. And it is easy to cope with them yourself, observing the rules of home care.
The appearance of a post-peeling burn is characteristic only for chemical exfoliation of any type: superficial, median, and even more so deep. The principle of the action of procedures is based on this: various natural or synthesized acids in a cosmetic composition destroy the dead layer of the epidermis and trigger accelerated cell renewal.
Collagen and elastin fibers are restored naturally, as a result of regeneration, the skin on the face is leveled, tightened, acquires a fresh, healthy shade, wrinkles and age spots disappear. Thus, a controlled chemical burn is an unpleasant but necessary step in getting rid of aesthetic defects through peeling.
A burn after acid peeling is a protective reaction of the body to the external aggressive effect of a chemical. The correct concentration of acid, which forms the basis of the pilin composition, should not provoke a burn higher than I severity. Outwardly, it looks like a strong redness and hardening of the skin.
When deciding on a peeling, you need to be prepared for a subsequent burn. The absence of redness, slight swelling and peeling of the skin after chemical peeling, on the contrary, is a sign that the procedure is performed incorrectly and will not have a noticeable effect. It is important that the burn during exfoliation be “controlled”, that is, the product must be kept by the cosmetologist strictly according to the time specified in the annotation, and the acid concentration does not exceed the maximum permissible norm in 30%. Otherwise, such a radical peeling will result in deep wounds and scars on the skin, which only an experienced doctor and surgery will help get rid of.
Danger of severe chemical burns
Unprofessionally performed peeling procedure using cosmetology chemistry may well end with a sick leave. Therefore, before exfoliation, be sure to ask a specialist what acid concentration is included in your chosen remedy. Make sure that this important indicator does not exceed the mark in 25-30%.
It is pointless to hope that the more aggressive the treatment, the faster and better the cleansing effect. In the best case, acid peeling in 70-80% concentration will provoke burns of II severity, in which redness will be accompanied by blisters and painful cracking of the skin. Subsequently, the skin will acquire a dark brown, and then a yellow tint. A deep violation of the integrity of the skin is dangerous:
- the development of a bacterial infection. The epidermis layers destroyed during peeling create favorable conditions for the instant spread of pathogens, which can be stopped only by antiseptic ointments with a high antibiotic content;
- difficult pigmentation. Heavily affected skin is vulnerable to ultraviolet radiation. Free exposure to the sun without a protective cream with SPF of at least 50 is fraught with the appearance of bright pigment spots, the elimination of which may take even a year;
- the appearance of scars. The scars on the skin will remain in place of deep cracks, and only laser resurfacing of the face will help get rid of them.
The appearance of burns of the II degree is an occasion to seek qualified medical help at the emergency room. As a rule, in such cases, doctors prescribe a complex medication consisting of the use of antihistamines that suppress an allergic reaction and itching, anti-burn ointments based on panthenol and local antibiotics for disinfection. Treatment can last about 3-5 weeks.
Post-Peeling Burn Care
On average, an allergic skin reaction to median or deep chemical cleansing takes place after a month of regular therapy. What exactly this term will be in your case, not a single expert foresees. This time is individual. But predicting burns after peeling, what to do at home, the beautician will certainly advise. General rules for the care of the injured epidermal layer are reduced to its protection, nutrition and the absence of mechanical stress.
- Both after gentle surface and midline procedures, for example, almond peeling, coral or glycol peeling, salicylic acid peeling, and after serious exfoliation, for example, phytin peeling or TCA, it is necessary to restore the skin with panthenol ointments. This substance helps the rapid healing of burn wounds, stimulates regeneration and promotes the growth of a new layer of cells. Apply cream (D-Panthenol, Bepanten) at least 3 once a day, applying them with a thin layer until completely absorbed on the damaged areas of the facial skin;
- It is also necessary to treat a burn with anti-inflammatory medicines, which include antiseptic ointments and disinfectant gels. In the case of extensive allergic redness and swelling, a specialist may prescribe antihistamine tablets or drops;
- An obligatory stage of facial skin care after acid peels is its hydration. Soothing and moisturizing masks, serums and oil concentrates in ampoules become relevant here;
- During the restoration of facial skin from a chemical burn, it is recommended to refrain from using even careful scrubs, drying foam for washing, containing zinc, as well as soaps with high levels of sulfates;
- Antibiotics after peeling, especially orally, are prescribed by a doctor only in case of prerequisites for the development of skin infection;
- The UV barrier is another important factor in the treatment of post-peeling burns. What will it be – you decide. Or you will wait out sunny days at home and will go out only in cloudy weather. Or wear a wide-brimmed hat and big sunglasses. But in any case, during this period, the skin requires the application of sunscreen with a high ultraviolet filter (minimum SPF 30);
- Make sure that the skin with a post-peeling burn is not exposed to a sharp temperature drop and contact with chlorinated or salt water;
- Injured skin needs an especially careful treatment. Do not try to get rid of unaesthetic post-burn crusts ahead of time, do not rub your face with a towel and do not massage with your fingertips, even if itching bothers you. Take a look and you will find on the Internet many reviews about what excessive haste can lead to and how long a chemical burn lasts. To help relieve itching, for example, “Elokom”. With this lotion you can wipe your face daily;
- Help the skin restore its hydro-lipid balance. Drink more pure water, even if there is no desire. Thus, you will accelerate the healing of a post-peeling burn.
We treat burns with natural remedies
To alleviate the skin condition after chemical peeling and soothe the burn will help not only pharmacy drugs, but also proven methods of traditional medicine. Decoctions and mixtures based on natural ingredients can be quickly prepared at home and not worry that they will cause any harm to the skin.
Vegetable whitening mask
- ½ fresh cucumber;
- 1 medium sized potatoes;
- 2 sprigs of parsley;
- 1 tsp aloe juice;
- 1 tbsp olive oil;
- 1 tsp lemon juice.
- three fresh cucumbers and raw potatoes on a fine grater;
- chop the parsley;
- mix vegetables with aloe juice, lemon and oil;
- we apply the mixture on the skin injured by a burn;
- do not wash off the composition for a quarter of an hour;
- repeat the procedure twice a week.
Oat broth against burns and redness
- ½ cup oatmeal;
- 2 tbsp starch.
- from oatmeal we prepare a saturated broth;
- add potato starch to the broth;
- apply the product on a burn;
- leave on face for 15 minutes;
- softening procedure is repeated every 2 days.
A severe burn after acid peeling is dangerous not only because it is capable of permanently incapacitating you and “shutting you down” in four walls. The main risk of its appearance is the irreversibility of skin changes and the appearance of unaesthetic scars, painful inflammation or deep scarring.
To protect yourself from such unpleasant “surprises”, do not try to do chemical peeling at home and do not save on the procedure. It is better to sign up for acid exfoliation in a professional cosmetology clinic, and not in a simple beauty salon. Then the effect of peeling will be predictable, and the reflection in the mirror will be joyful.