Despite its specific, bitter taste, many people liked grapefruit and still remain in the spotlight due to its beneficial properties. Grapefruit diet appeared at the beginning of the XX century in Hollywood, but now it is very popular among the masses. Nutritionists have long noted the value of grapefruit for weight loss. Its useful composition will allow not only to lose a few extra pounds, but also to recharge your batteries with energy and vigor, improve skin condition, and prevent the development of diseases of the cardiovascular system. And its bitter taste is just due to a substance that helps to block the enzymes responsible for the accumulation of adipose tissue and carbohydrates.
- 1 What is grapefruit
- 2 Grapefruit and its beneficial properties
- 3 Grapefruit mono-diet
- 4 Grapefruit three-day diet
- 5 Weekly grapefruit diet
- 6 Diet with grapefruit and egg
- 7 Menu of grapefruit diet for the month
- 8 Harm and contraindications of the grapefruit diet
- 9 Conclusions
What is grapefruit
Due to its bitter-sour taste, many believe that grapefruit is a hybrid of lemon and orange, but this is far from the case. The first mention of this fruit dates back to the middle of the 18th century and is associated with the island of Barbados. In fact, it is the result of the natural crossing of an orange and pomelo, and according to its characteristics, grapefruit is closer to the last.
Fruits grow on trees at a height of up to twelve meters. By weight, they can reach up to 500 grams. The flesh of the grapefruit is juicy, yellow or red. They taste sweet, but a little bitter. The fruits are common in a subtropical climate: grow in the United States, Israel and Cyprus.
Artificially bred varieties resistant to lower temperatures are grown in Georgia.
The name of the fruit was due to its location on a tree: it grows like clusters of grapes – grape fruit, which in English means grapes and fruit.
The scientific name “pompelmus is form-like” is connected with this property. And in Latin the name of this fruit sounds like Citrus paradisi, which can be translated as “heavenly citrus”.
Grapefruit and its beneficial properties
Grapefruit diet can be useful not only for weight loss. Eating grapefruits can help normalize cholesterol in the body, improve the functioning of the heart and blood vessels, and also bring other benefits to the body. The fact is that quite a few useful substances are included in the composition of these fruits. Firstly, it is an inexhaustible source of vitamin C, a lot of vitamins B1, A, D and niacin. They also have organic acids necessary for the normal functioning of the body, mineral salts, sugars and pectins.
Red grapefruit varieties containing a large amount of pectins and citric acid, which enhances their action, help to effectively fight harmful cholesterol, and are also able to remove dangerous toxins and harmful slags from the body.
These fruits contain the substance naringin, thanks to which they acquire their bitter taste. Its high concentration is observed in thin shells that divide the lobules of the fruit. It helps to stimulate metabolic processes and improves digestion. Many remove these films before use in order to remove bitterness, however, in this case, the mass of nutrients leaves, with the help of which the removal of harmful cholesterol occurs, and getting rid of extra pounds of weight.
To reduce the level of harmful cholesterol in the blood of people suffering from disorders of the cardiovascular system, a diet will be useful for preventive purposes. To do this, eat one grapefruit about three times a week in the morning. The rest of the food can be left unchanged. If you replace the natural fruit with grapefruit juice, then this effect should not be expected, since the juice content of naringin is several times less.
Other useful properties of grapefruit:
- normalizes blood glucose levels, which is useful for the prevention of diabetes;
- produces a feeling of hunger, stimulates the appetite;
- effective in hypertension, as it is able to lower blood pressure;
- has antibacterial properties, as it contains phytoncides in natural antibiotics;
- helps to clean the blood;
- fruitfully influences work of a liver;
- breaks down fats, normalizes lipid metabolism;
- helps get rid of stress and insomnia.
There are several options for grapefruit diet. They differ in duration and allowed for use products. Depending on what results you need to achieve, a grapefruit diet can last both a 1 day and a 4 week.
Diet on grapefruits, as one of the varieties of mono-diets, is shown when the goal is to maintain the body in shape or to get rid of a small weight, within one kilogram.
To do this, once a week, arrange a fasting day on grapefruit and grapefruit juice. You can spend it on any day of the week. Such a diet will contribute to lipid metabolism, nourishes the body with essential vitamins and minerals, improves digestion, and speeds up metabolism.
During such fasting, 4 should be limited to medium-sized fruits that will satisfy hunger and charge the body with energy and energy. You can also use any amount of herbal, black and green tea, mineral still water and natural freshly squeezed grapefruit juice with pulp.
The results will not keep you waiting: numerous reviews suggest that after one such day the body is cleansed, the state of health improves and there is lightness in the whole body.
If you just need to keep your body in good shape and speed up the process of splitting fats at night, you can drink a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice at night, but you need to remember that you should not eat three hours before sleep.
Grapefruit three-day diet
The grapefruit diet on 3 of the day is effective for those who want to get in shape in a short time and lose two to four kilograms of excess weight. It can be useful before the upcoming important trip, sea cruise or before the start of the beach season. Allowed at this time the use of low-fat diet food in small quantities. The daily diet should be approximately 750 calories. On these 3 days you can eat boiled chicken, unsalted rice, and low-fat fish.
Forbidden foods during a three-day fast include:
- any fats and fatty foods;
- sugar and sweet products;
- spicy and fatty sauces.
It is better to drink green tea, and leave coffee in small quantities. It is allowed to use only a natural freshly brewed product, preferably in the morning at breakfast.
Combining grapefruit with boiled egg or celery will be very effective, as these products allow you to lose weight without any problems.
The essence of this diet is to eat before each meal for half a grapefruit or freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.
- breakfast – freshly brewed natural coffee, 50 grams of low-fat ham, half a grapefruit;
- lunch – vegetable salad seasoned with lemon juice, a cup of green tea, half a grapefruit;
- dinner – 150 grams of steamed or baked veal, lettuce with lemon juice, a cup of black or green tea, half a grapefruit.
- breakfast – freshly brewed natural coffee, two boiled eggs, half a grapefruit;
- lunch – about 50 grams of low-fat cheese, half a grapefruit;
- dinner – 200 grams cooked in a double boiler or baked fish, vegetable salad with celery, seasoned with lemon juice, a slice of black bread, half a grapefruit.
The third day:
- breakfast – about two tablespoons of oatmeal with raisins, 4 tablespoons of unsweetened yogurt, three nuts, half a grapefruit;
- lunch – vegetable soup or vegetable broth, two crackers, half a grapefruit;
- dinner – 200 grams of boiled chicken, two baked tomatoes, herbal tea, half a grapefruit.
Weekly grapefruit diet
The weekly diet is indicated for those who want to lose more than three kilograms. In fact, this diet is a continuation of the three-day. Her diet should also include the mandatory use of half a grapefruit or 250 grams of grapefruit juice half an hour before meals. For 7 days of such a diet, you can get rid of extra 5 – 7 pounds of weight.
- low-fat cottage cheese and yogurt;
- low-fat dietary meats;
- vegetable broth;
- various vegetables, preferably green;
- boiled rice;
- chicken eggs;
An approximate menu for the week can be made based on the diet of a three-day diet. It is best to use lemon juice as a salad dressing, as its benefits are much greater than the benefits of vegetable oil or other oil dressings. Also, for 7 days, you need to limit the consumption of coffee, preferring green or herbal tea. For sweets, which can not do without sweets at all, it is allowed to add a teaspoon of honey to tea, or eat some dried fruits. However, for a more effective result, it is better to abandon this.
Diet with grapefruit and egg
This diet is designed for a month or two weeks. It is quite effective, as it combines protein foods and citruses, which fruitfully burn fat, accelerating metabolism. As in the previous diet, half a grapefruit can be replaced with a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. With this method of losing weight, you need to consume a lot of mineral still water and tea. Consumption of natural coffee is better to limit to one cup without adding sugar and cream. Potatoes also need to be removed from the diet, due to the high content of starch in it. It is better to eat lettuce, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers.
Menu of grapefruit diet for the month
Breakfast should always include two hard-boiled eggs and half a grapefruit.
- on the first, fourth and sixth day of the week use only grapefruits;
- on the second and seventh day, 200 grams of boiled chicken fillet or baked chicken breast is allowed, a vegetable salad seasoned with olive oil or lemon juice, one grapefruit;
- on the third day, you can treat yourself to 200 grams of feta cheese, fresh tomato and a small slice of rye bread;
- on the fifth day, make a salad of two fresh cucumbers with greens and cook vegetables in a double boiler.
- on the first, third, fourth and sixth day you can cook in a double boiler or bake lean meats;
- on the second day, eat two hard-boiled eggs, one grapefruit and a slice of rye or black bread;
- on the fifth day, cook in a steamer or bake 200 grams of lean fish, lettuce leaves seasoned with lemon juice and one grapefruit;
- on the seventh day, cook vegetables in a double boiler.
The second week
Breakfast should also consist of two hard-boiled eggs and half a grapefruit or a glass of grapefruit juice each day.
- first day – two hard-boiled eggs and lettuce leaves, seasoned with lemon juice;
- the second and third day – two hundred grams of baked fish or meat and lettuce leaves;
- the fourth day – two hard-boiled eggs, about one hundred grams of feta cheese and vegetables cooked in a double boiler;
- the fifth day – baked or grilled 250 grams of fish or seafood;
- the sixth day – two hundred grams of baked meat, lettuce leaves, one grapefruit;
- the seventh day – two hundred grams of boiled chicken breast, one grapefruit, two fresh tomatoes.
- the first, second and third day in the evening to use two hard-boiled eggs and one grapefruit;
- on the fourth, fifth, and sixth day, apply only grapefruit in any desired quantity;
- on the seventh day, add two hundred grams of steamed or baked chicken fillet, one grapefruit and two fresh tomatoes to the diet.
For those who survived the first two weeks of the monthly grapefruit diet and are ready to continue this method for losing weight, the third week has prepared various mono-diets. This means that every day you can eat only one product from the list:
- fish cooked in a double boiler and lettuce;
- chicken fillet baked or cooked in a double boiler;
- vegetables and leaves cooked in a double boiler;
- grapefruits with apples, plums or kiwi;
- just vegetables cooked in a double boiler.
The selected product can be used without restriction in quantity. But it is necessary to drink at least one and a half liters of pure non-carbonated mineral water per day.
The final stage of a long diet on grapefruit provides for a strictly defined set of products for each day. These products should be divided into small portions and eaten in parts throughout the day.
- chicken or fish fillet cooked in a double boiler – 400 grams;
- grapefruits – 2 pcs;
- cucumbers – 2 pcs;
- tomatoes – 2 pieces.
- slice of rye or black bread – 2 pcs;
- grapefruits – 4 pcs;
- tomatoes and cucumbers in any quantity.
The third day:
- slice of black or rye bread – 2 pcs;
- grapefruits – 4 pcs;
- low-fat cottage cheese – 100 grams;
- Tomatoes – 2 pcs;
- vegetables cooked in a double boiler – 200 grams.
- chicken fillet baked or boiled – 400 grams;
- grapefruit – 2 pcs;
- cucumbers – 2 pcs;
- tomatoes – 2 pieces.
- hard boiled egg – 2 pcs;
- grapefruit – 1 pcs;
- lettuce leaves, cucumbers and tomatoes in any quantity.
- slice of rye bread – 1 pcs;
- cucumber – 1 pcs;
- cheese – 100 grams;
- chicken breast cooked in a double boiler – 200 grams.
- slice of rye bread – 1 pcs;
- grapefruit – 2 pcs;
- tomato – 2 pcs;
- fish fillet cooked in a double boiler – 150 grams;
- vegetables in any form – 200 grams.
Harm and contraindications of the grapefruit diet
Despite the fact that such a diet is often well tolerated, there are a number of contraindications that must be considered before taking it. First of all it is necessary to pay attention to the fact that the use of grapefruit or juice is not permissible during the period of treatment and use of drugs. The fact is that this fruit is capable of enhancing the effect of some drugs and can cause an overdose, even death. In such cases, there is rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, may be dizzy.
To adhere to such a diet is prohibited during the course:
- antibiotics, as grapefruit has an effect on erythromycin;
- antidepressants – effect on sertraline;
- anti-arrhythmia effects on amiodarone;
- antifungal drugs – effect on itraconazole;
- antihistamine drugs – effects on fexofenadine;
- hormone therapy – effects on cortisol and testosterone;
- pain medication;
Also, the use of grapefruits is contraindicated for people suffering from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, gastritis with high acidity, hepatitis, cholecystitis, colitis and acute nephritis.
Before you go on such a diet, you must consult a doctor, especially if there is a tendency to some diseases.
It is also not recommended to use the grapefruit diet during pregnancy, allergies to citrus fruits, during childhood, as well as at risk of onset and development of oncological diseases.
Grapefruit diet is a useful natural way of losing weight, in which you can get rid of a few pounds of excess weight and at the same time not feel hungry stress, but rather charge your body with vigor and good mood. The menu of this diet is very diverse and is designed for different duration of use – from one day to one month. What kind of diet to choose – a personal matter.
It all depends on the desire and purpose set for you: if you need to quickly put yourself in shape before a responsible event – a three-day diet will help, and if you want to get rid of a decent amount of extra pounds – try a four-week program for weight loss. However, this diet has very serious contraindications, especially in the presence of chronic diseases or the process of drug treatment. Therefore, before using the charms of a grapefruit diet on yourself, you should definitely consult with your doctor.