A hypocholesterol or hypocholesterolemic diet is usually prescribed for medical purposes in order to significantly lower blood cholesterol. And as an addition, you can lose a few extra pounds. Such a diet was developed not without the help of cardiologists, since increasing cholesterol can lead to various cardiovascular diseases and atherosclerosis.
Significantly there is a risk of developing a heart attack and coronary heart disease. The fact is that hypercholesterolemia can be a hereditary disease, and as a rule, a diet has been specially developed for such people, which will help reduce the level of bad cholesterol in the blood.
- 1 The essence of hypocholesterol diet
- 2 Basic rules for a cholesterol diet
- 3 Prohibited products
- 4 Permitted products
- 5 Weekly menu for cholesterol-lowering diet
- 6 Recipes for the cholesterol diet
- 7 Contraindications and harm to cholesterol diet
- 8 Results of cholesterol diet
- 9 Conclusions
The essence of hypocholesterol diet
Essentially, cholesterol is an important product that is produced in the liver and serves for many vital body functions. But an increase in its level can lead to adverse effects: atherosclerotic plaques appear, which are deposited in the blood vessels, thereby causing a blockage of the arteries. And that, in turn, already affects the appearance of other terrible cardiovascular diseases.
Recently, the problem of high cholesterol has been of concern to many, as modern life makes its own adjustments to both nutrition and lifestyle. Doctors attribute this primarily to the increased content of “harmful” fats in our diet. But it’s true, not many are able to pass by so deliciously smelling fast foods and fast food chains. And also with the regular use of alcoholic beverages, smoking, the presence of excess weight, hereditary factors and of course a sedentary lifestyle.
At its core, the hypocholesterol diet aims to reduce the use of foods that contain high cholesterol levels. There are immutable rules of this diet, the observance of which will allow not only to normalize the cholesterol content in the body, but also to lose weight, to radically change the way of life, thereby contributing to an improvement in overall well-being.
Basic rules for a cholesterol diet
In order for the results of the hypocholesterol diet to be pleased, it is necessary to follow the basic rules, any violation of which will only worsen the general condition and minimize all efforts.
Here is a list of these recommendations:
- refusal of harmful fats of animal origin, or minimizing their use;
- Mandatory consumption of fish, except for fried, about two times a week;
- replace fatty meat with a more dietary one: turkey, chicken, rabbit or veal;
- alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited;
- exclusion from the diet of flour and sweet dishes, or reducing their use to a minimum;
- use in the daily menu of vegetable dishes, fruits and low-fat dairy products;
- use stewed or boiled food, instead of fried;
- a categorical ban on the use of mayonnaise, replacing it with lemon juice and spices;
- meat broth before use cool and remove the top layer of fat;
- It is advisable to cook poultry without fat and skin.
The banned products with hypocholesterol diet include:
- various types of sausages, sausages, wieners, smoked meats;
- fatty meats, offal, as well as duck or geese meat;
- egg yolks, heavy cream, sour cream and cottage cheese, condensed milk and cream cheese;
- butter, coconut, palm oil, lard, animal fats and hard margarine;
- canned fish and other conservation;
- various nuts (peanuts, pistachios, hazelnuts), chips, candied fruits and french fries;
- pastry, biscuits, rolls, cakes and other confectionery;
- all types of sugar, chocolate, sweets, as well as candy and marmalade;
- alcohol, strong coffee with cream and cocoa.
To permitted foods with elevated cholesterol include:
- all lean meats (veal, chicken, turkey, rabbit, as well as meat of wild animals);
- you can eat only egg white no more than 2 once a week;
- low-fat milk and dairy products, cheeses not more than 20 percent fat;
- vegetable oils (sunflower, corn, olive, soy), soft margarine;
- sea fish (sardine, salmon, tuna, flounder, mackerel, cod and herring), as well as caviar and seafood about twice a week;
- various fresh or frozen vegetables, legumes, dried fruits and corn;
- whole grain bread, durum wheat pasta, oatmeal and oatmeal cookies, brown unpolished rice, low-fat puddings and sorbet;
- popsicles and frozen juice, various jellies and smoothies;
- sugar-free juices, various teas, weak coffee and mineral water.
The menu for the week at an elevated level of cholesterol should consist only of approved products, which are quite a lot, so making a daily balanced diet does not require much effort.
Below is a sample menu on the basis of which you can come up with your own meal plan.
- breakfast – low-fat cottage cheese (150 grams), green or herbal tea, oatmeal;
- second breakfast – some berries or an apple;
- lunch – low-fat meat or vegetable soup, boiled chicken breast (100 grams), vegetable salad seasoned with a small amount of vegetable oil, a slice of rye brown bread;
- afternoon snack – unsweetened yogurt or any fruit;
- dinner – two boiled egg whites, green beans with carrots (stewed or cooked in a double boiler).
- breakfast – fruit salad, a glass of low-fat sour-milk product, a slice of whole-grain bread;
- lunch – any fruit or fruit jelly without sugar;
- lunch – fish baked or cooked in a double boiler (150 grams), cabbage salad with carrots, seasoned with balsamic or soy sauce and a small amount of vegetable oil;
- afternoon tea – cheese with rye or whole grain bread and greens;
- dinner – two stewed beef meatballs with stewed vegetables (pepper, cauliflower, carrots).
- breakfast – buckwheat porridge and tomato or vegetable juice;
- second breakfast – baked apple with honey, black tea;
- lunch – mashed vegetable soup, a slice of bran bread, a salad with mushrooms (oyster mushrooms or mushrooms).
- afternoon tea – green tea and one marshmallow;
- dinner – braised rabbit (250 grams) and Greek salad.
- breakfast – cheese cakes with fruit jam (4 pieces), apple-carrot salad with nuts, a glass of low-fat fermented milk product;
- the second breakfast – a broth of wild rose, dried fruits (5 pieces of prunes and as much dried apricots);
- dinner – gazpacho, boiled veal (150 grams), a slice of gray or whole-grain bread;
- afternoon snack – low-fat cottage cheese with raisins and unsweetened compote;
- dinner – pasta from durum wheat and baked or cooked in a double boiler fish (150 grams).
- breakfast – millet porridge with apple, broth hips;
- the second breakfast – any non-fat fermented milk product;
- lunch – a salad of seafood and olives, a glass of any fruit unsweetened juice;
- afternoon tea – some grapes;
- dinner – boiled beans with spices, a salad of tomatoes and cucumbers, seasoned with a small amount of vegetable oil.
- breakfast – lazy dumplings, black or green tea;
- the second breakfast is a tomato with cheese;
- dinner – vegetable okroshka, a piece of bran or whole-grain bread;
- afternoon snack – any two fruits;
- dinner – boiled potatoes, turkey, vegetable salad.
- breakfast – weak coffee with milk, oatmeal and one egg white;
- second breakfast – fruit jelly or popsicles;
- lunch – low-fat chicken soup, boiled or baked veal (100 grams), radish salad;
- afternoon tea – an orange or unsweetened yogurt;
- dinner – risotto with mushrooms or spaghetti in tomato sauce, boiled beet salad.
Recipes for the cholesterol diet
To diversify the menu with the cholesterol diet is quite easy, since there are a lot of products that are allowed to be consumed. Popular dishes such as okroshka are suitable for everyday use, but instead of sausage you can cut boiled chicken fillet or lean veal, vegetable stew with rabbit, risotto with mushrooms and vegetables, cheesecakes, seafood salad, gazpacho, pilaf with dried apricots and prunes and a lot other delicious dishes.
To prepare such a tasty and healthy dish you will need:
- low-fat cottage cheese – 300 grams;
- semolina – 2 tablespoons;
- flour – 4 tablespoons;
- egg white – 2 pieces;
- soda – 1 teaspoon.
Beat the whites with a little sugar, add the grated cottage cheese. Then put flour, soda and semolina in the mixture and mix until a homogeneous consistency is obtained. Spread the resulting mixture on a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment and cook in the oven at a temperature of 180 degrees for 15 minutes.
Gazpacho is a cold Spanish soup made from grinded raw vegetables. To make it you will need:
- big fleshy tomatoes – 3 pieces;
- cucumber – 1 thing;
- sweet pepper – 1 thing;
- white bread – 1 slice;
- garlic – 2 cloves;
- olive oil – 1 tablespoon;
Tomatoes placed in boiling water for a few seconds to more easily get rid of the skin. Soak bread in warm water. Peel the vegetables and send them to the blender together with the bread. Grind everything to a homogeneous puree consistency. Arrange on plates, add olive oil and herbs. In the summer it is recommended to add some ice to this soup.
To prepare such a light and tasty dish you will need:
- brown rice – 250 grams;
- dried apricots – 200 grams;
- carrot – 1 thing;
- prunes – 100 grams;
- Apple – 1 thing.
Rice before cooking must be boiled. Apple, carrots and dried fruits cut into small straws. Dried fruits, it is desirable to pre-soak for a few minutes. In a cauldron fry sliced dried fruits, carrots and apples, add boiled rice, mix. Add water and simmer until it evaporates.
Contraindications and harm to cholesterol diet
Any diet, including hypocholesteric, is contraindicated for pregnant women and women during lactation, as well as children and adolescents under eighteen years of age. It is not recommended to adhere to such a diet, people with cancer or with a predisposition to such. Also, do not use such a system for weight loss for people with kidney disease.
Results of cholesterol diet
Such a diet helps to significantly reduce and normalize cholesterol levels in the blood, as well as helps to improve the condition of the blood vessels and the liver. But in order to fully normalize cholesterol, one diet is indispensable. It is recommended to take medications prescribed by a doctor, so before you go on such a diet, it is necessary to consult a cardiologist or a nutritionist.
The diet is very well balanced, so it can be used throughout life. Thus, having tried this method once and convinced of its effectiveness, one can make such a food a way of life. And as a positive weight gain in such a diet will be weight loss and maintaining it normally for quite a long time. In addition to the hypocholesterol diet, it is very good to introduce sports into your everyday life and get rid of bad habits such as smoking and alcohol. And then you will feel how your life has changed for the better.
Hypocholesterol diet – a diet that is aimed primarily at improving health. And prescribed by doctors to lower and normalize cholesterol in human blood. Such a diet is recommended by nutritionists, cardiologists and gastroenterologists, since with it you can significantly improve the condition of the body, increase vitality and maintain health and vitality throughout life.
This is a completely balanced diet containing cereals, and proteins, and vegetables, and fruits. You can adhere to this diet all your life and feel excellent at the same time. This diet has virtually no contraindications, except for childhood, pregnancy and lactation. They also do not recommend it for oncological diseases and exacerbation of chronic liver diseases.