Judging by the name, a low-carb diet is characterized by a decrease in the intake of the required number of carbohydrates, thereby leading the body to loss of excess weight. There are many examples of such diets: the popular low-carb Kremlin diet, Protasov diet, protein diet, Atkins high-fat diet – all of them are based on low carbohydrate intake, which reduces the release of insulin into the bloodstream and thereby contributes to the active breakdown of fats.
Most likely you should not say that the rejection of sweet, starchy, various fruits, sweets and chocolate will contribute to weight loss and helps to effectively get rid of extra pounds. Namely, they are simple, or in another way, fast carbohydrates. It is precisely to reduce their consumption that the diet is aimed, which will be discussed further.
- 1 The essence and benefits of low-carb diet
- 2 Contraindications and cons of a low carb diet
- 3 Permitted products
- 4 Prohibited products
- 5 Low-carb diet rules
- 6 Various types of menus for the week with a low-carb diet
- 7 Low Carb Diet Recipes
- 8 Conclusions
The essence and benefits of low-carb diet
For the concept of the essence of the diet, it is important to distinguish than simple carbohydrates are different from complex ones. The fact is that “simple” or “fast” carbohydrates have the ability to digest and convert to body fat very quickly. “Slow”, or as they are called “complex” carbohydrates, tend to be absorbed at a slow pace, charging the body with vigor and energy, so that a person does not feel hunger for a long time and is able to lose much more calories than he did with a portion of food.
To simple carbohydrates include: a variety of pastries, sweets, smoked delicacies, fatty and flour foods. The use of these products is strictly prohibited. Complex carbohydrates include various cereals and all vegetables. But a low-carb diet allows for the consumption of vegetables and only a small amount of cereals and some fruits.
Low carb diets can be of two types: slow and hard. The first are designed for phased weight loss. In this case, later, if you follow certain standards in the diet, it is quite possible to avoid re-recruitment of unnecessary kilograms. Tough diet is designed primarily for athletes. Often used by bodybuilders for drying, so using it as a simple person can lead to a quick uncontrolled weight gain.
The main advantage of a low-carbohydrate diet is that it can be painless, without suffering from a constant feeling of hunger, to lose a decent amount of kilograms irrevocably. But at the same time you should not expect quick results. This is a long controlled process that will help the body avoid unnecessary potential harm. This, which is usually accompanied by various “hungry” diets. Anyway, such a diet can later become a nutrition system, the basis for the daily diet.
The beneficial properties of a low-carb diet are:
- it does not require fabulous costs, since it uses extremely useful and affordable dishes;
- with diabetes, such a diet helps restore the lipid spectrum, normalizes blood glucose levels, but such a diet can only be used under the supervision of a specialist;
- the diet is unbalanced, but it can be safely followed for a long time, and it can be made a way of life, positioning it as a special nutrition system;
- it is quite in demand among athletes, as it helps to burn fat, while not touching the muscle mass, and it also loads energy for a long time.
Contraindications and cons of a low carb diet
No matter how beautiful the system, there are both advantages and disadvantages. In addition, a low carbohydrate diet has some contraindications:
- It is not recommended to use this diet in childhood and adolescence, as a shortage of carbohydrates in the developing body is fraught with unpleasant consequences for health;
- during pregnancy and lactation, too, one should not resort to such a system of weight loss, since the health status of the fetus is of paramount importance for pregnant women, therefore, they should not, in principle, go on diets;
- if there are health problems, a mandatory consultation with a specialist is necessary before the diet.
Subject to the principles of a low-carb diet, it should be remembered that the use of protein foods every day can lead to undesirable consequences in the work of the heart and blood vessels, as well as a large burden on the kidneys. Usually this happens due to a lack of potassium in the body, which in small quantities enters the body with this diet.
Glucose deficiency is also undoubtedly related to the disadvantages of a low-carb diet. This primarily affects mental activity, often there is a deterioration in memory and a slower reaction rate. Especially hard to come to terms with this diet lovers of sweets. A large percentage of those who quit the diet is among such people.
Also, protein foods are rich in cholesterol, which can accumulate in the body, and the lack of healthy fiber in the menu can provoke problems in the intestines. With a high content of protein in the diet, the body begins to produce ketone bodies. They, in turn, are able to leach fat from the body, but they can also catch useful substances that are necessary for the normal and harmonious work of important organs and systems. Often this can lead to weakness, dizziness, and bouts of insomnia. In this case, you need to see a doctor, most likely this method of losing weight is not for you.
Since the low-carb diet is limited to the consumption of some healthy vegetables, the body may not need the necessary amount of vitamins and minerals, therefore, supplementary vitamin complexes are welcome at this time.
The basis of the menu with a low-carb diet should be protein foods with a small addition of fats and carbohydrates. The following products may be used:
- lean meat and lean fish;
- low-fat dairy and dairy products;
- various vegetables, excluding potatoes, legumes, as well as olives and olives whenever possible;
- a limited number of fruits, with the exception of grapes and bananas, as they have a fairly high calorie content;
- dried fruits and nuts;
- buckwheat, oat bran or brown rice in limited quantities;
- various greens.
For prohibited with low-carb diet foods include:
- vegetables and cereals rich in starch: potatoes, white rice, pasta of any kind;
- bread and various products from it;
- sweet pastry;
- smoked sausages and other delicacies;
- mayonnaise, ketchup and other fatty sauces;
- sugar in any form;
- grapes and bananas that are rich in fructose;
- fruit juices and compotes;
- alcoholic beverages.
Nutritionists vigorously insist on banning fatty foods and replacing them with low-fat counterparts, but reviews by numerous supporters and supporters of this method of weight loss suggest the opposite. They calmly adhered to this diet and lost weight, eating some kinds of fatty sausages and meat. Only they need to be in moderation, not overdoing it.
Low-carb diet rules
In order for such a diet to proceed as expected and does not bring harm to the body, you should follow certain rules:
- with such a diet it is necessary to use as much liquid as possible – more than one and a half liters per day;
- vegetables are recommended to bake, steam or simmer;
- with such a system, walking for at least twenty minutes a day or additional physical activity is desirable;
- in order to make a daily ration correctly, you should use a table in which the carbohydrate component of various foods is viewed.
Table of the content of the carbohydrate component in various products on 100 grams
|High alcohol drinks (rum, whiskey, tequila, vodka and others)||–|
|Beer (approximately 250 grams)||12|
|Liquor (about 60 grams)||18|
|Morels are fresh||0,2|
|Raw butterflies, honey agarics and mushrooms||0,5|
|Fresh mushrooms, boletus and porcini mushrooms||1|
|Raw chanterelles, boletus and russula||1,5|
|White mushrooms in dried form||7,5|
|Dried aspen mushrooms||13|
|Dried boletus mushrooms||14|
|Tomatoes and Seaweed||4|
|Olives, eggplant caviar||5|
|Green peas canned||6,5|
|Caviar from marrows||8,5|
|Peppers with vegetables||11|
|Sweet Canned Corn||14,5|
|Beans and other legumes||46|
|Barley and millet||66|
|Fat-free cottage cheese, margarine and various types of cheese||1|
|Low-fat cottage cheese||1,8|
|Mayonnaise of any fat content||2,6|
|Big-fat cottage cheese||2,8|
|Sour cream of any fat content||3|
|Yogurt or kefir||3,2|
|Cream of any fat content||4|
|Pasteurized and baked milk||4,7|
|Sweet curd mass||15|
|Sweet curd in the glaze||32|
|Meat products, poultry|
|Different types of meat (lamb, beef, pork, veal), poultry, rabbit, heart and beef liver, lard, loin and tongue, steak and various sausages, pork legs||–|
|Beef sausages, boiled sausage and milk sausages||1,5|
|Meat in batter||6|
|Coffee, sugar free tea, mineral water||–|
|Carrot juice, compote with xylitol||6|
|Pulp juice with pulp||11|
|Grape, pomegranate and apricot juice||14|
|Juice from plums without pulp||16|
|Grape and apple compote||19|
|Celery, lettuce, spinach||2|
|String Beans, Fresh Cucumber, Asparagus, Sorrel||3|
|Pumpkin, zucchini, tomatoes, radish||4|
|Eggplant, red cabbage, white and colored, sweet peppers, turnips, garlic||5|
|Sweet pepper green and red||5|
|Celery root, wild leek||6|
|Beans, kohlrabi cabbage, parsley||8|
|Watermelon, melon, onions, beets||9|
|Root of parsley||10,5|
|Green peas fresh||12|
|Walnuts and pumpkin seeds||12|
|Peanuts, hazelnuts, pistachio nuts||15|
|Coconut and Sesame Seeds||20|
|Seasonings and spices|
|Wine vinegar red (tablespoon)||–|
|Spicy herbs (tablespoon)||0,1|
|Capers and horseradish (tablespoon)||0,4|
|Cinnamon and ground hot pepper (teaspoon)||0,5|
|Mustard, tartar (tablespoon)||0,5|
|Apple cider vinegar and soy sauce (tablespoon)||1|
|White wine vinegar (tablespoon)||1,5|
|Barbecue sauce (tablespoon)||1,8|
|Tomato Sauce (50 grams)||3,5|
|Cranberry sauce (tablespoon)||6,5|
|Frozen, fresh, boiled and smoked fish, shrimp, red and black caviar||–|
|Fresh lobsters and seaweed||1|
|Fish in tomato sauce||6|
|Jam for diabetics||3|
|Jam for diabetics||9|
|Chocolate ice cream||20|
|Chocolate with nuts||48|
|Sponge cake and bitter chocolate||50|
|Milk and White Chocolate||54|
|Simple waffles and apple jam||65|
|Strawberry and Raspberry Jam||71|
|Honey and Butter Cookies||75|
|Marshmallow and fruit waffles||80|
|Caramel with filling||92|
|Sugar of different types||99|
|Chicken or meat broth||–|
|Goulash soup and green soup||12|
|Cherry plum and grapefruits||6,5|
|Quince, orange and tangerines||8|
|Dogwood and Apricots||9|
|Pear, peach, plum and apple||9,5|
|Kiwi and Cherries||10|
|Pomegranate, chokeberry, fig||11|
|Persimmon and Nectarines||13|
|Grain bread and rye cakes||43|
|Riga and bun||51|
|Rye seeded flour||64|
|First grade wheat flour||67|
|Drying, egg noodles and top grade wheat flour||68|
|Sweet straws and pasta||69|
|Currant black and red||7,5|
|Lingonberries, raspberries, blueberries and white currants||8|
|Fresh rose hips||10|
Based on the table, you can create a personal menu, adhering to which you can lose a week before the kilogram 9.
The principle of construction is based on the restriction of the use of products containing a large amount of carbohydrates:
- for weight loss – you need to dial up to 40 conventional units per day;
- to stabilize the weight – no more than 60 conventional units;
- to increase the kilogram – 60 conventional units and more.
A sample menu for the week can be presented as follows:
- breakfast – steamed omelette, green tea or herbal tea;
- second breakfast – low-fat cottage cheese;
- lunch – mushroom soup, boiled chicken;
- dinner – baked fish.
Menu for the week for weight loss
To drop an extra kilogram of 10 in a week, you can try this week menu option:
- breakfast – cottage cheese with dried fruits;
- lunch – soup;
- dinner – boiled veal.
Menu for the week with diabetes
A separate medical menu can be used for diabetes:
- breakfast – low-fat cottage cheese, tea and 2 boiled eggs;
- the second breakfast – 250 grams of yogurt;
- lunch – legume soup;
- afternoon snack – orange;
- dinner – fish baked in the oven with vegetables.
High fat low carbohydrate diet
Such a diet was invented by Dr. Atkins. It proceeds in four phases:
- the first phase is the duration of the 2 week, the restriction in carbohydrates is about 20 grams, proteins are allowed in any quantities;
- the second phase lasts several months, during which it is necessary to gradually increase the amount of carbohydrates consumed in food;
- third phase – in order to maintain weight in the current state, it is recommended to increase the rate of available carbohydrates to 10 grams per day;
- fourth phase – to fix the result you need to consume as many carbohydrates as in the third phase.
For effective fat burning without loss in muscle mass, it is recommended to use approximately the following menu for the week:
- breakfast – tea, oatmeal in milk;
- the second breakfast – 200 grams of low-fat cottage cheese;
- dinner – vegetable soup, seafood salad, steamed vegetables;
- afternoon snack – cottage cheese pudding;
- dinner – meat baked in the oven, vegetables, steamed, kefir.
Low carb diet for vegetarians
There is a separate diet for those people who do not use meat in their diets. There are some rules for them:
- calculation of the carbohydrates consumed must be done in the following way: 5 grams of carbohydrates per 10 kilogram of weight;
- meat and fish products need to be replaced with soy analogs, beans, and also cereals.
This menu in your diet can be used by both sportsmen during the drying period and ordinary people who prefer protein foods:
- breakfast – tea and 100 grams of low-fat cottage cheese;
- the second breakfast – zhmenya nuts;
- lunch – boiled chicken with steamed vegetables;
- afternoon tea – kefir or yogurt;
- dinner – fish cooked in a double boiler.
Low Carb Diet Recipes
To prepare the soup will need:
- Shrimp – 1 kg;
- tomato – 1 pcs;
- onions – 1 pcs;
- lemon juice.
Peel the shrimps and rinse well, finely chop the vegetables and herbs. Pour the ingredients in water, add a little curry, sprinkle all with lemon juice and put on the stove.
Beef Spinach Stew
To prepare such a dish, you can use the following recipe:
- beef – 1 kg;
- spinach – 400 grams;
- onions – 1 pcs;
- celery root – 200 grams;
- garlic – 1 tooth;
- tomatoes – 2 pcs;
- olive oil;
- ginger powder;
- beef broth – 250 grams.
Fry all seasonings in oil, gradually add chopped onion and tomatoes there. Fry a little, add beef broth and the remaining ingredients. Beef is best cut into strips so that cooking takes less time. Cover the dish and simmer for forty minutes.
Reviews of a low-carb diet are ambiguous: it has many supporters and many opponents. However, both those and those celebrate its effectiveness. This diet is well suited to those who do not like exhausting starvation, because it allows you to eat quite a lot of products. Its advantages include its successful use in case of diabetes.
As a remedy, it has proven itself quite well. In addition, it is available and does not hit hard on the family budget. In short, if you use such a system for losing weight – it will undoubtedly lead to amazing results.
However, it should be remembered that such a diet, although not a mono-diet, but its indicators are unbalanced, so before you begin the course of such fasting, you must consult with a specialist, especially if you have any chronic diseases in the history.