Facial care after peeling also affects the result of exfoliation, as the proper preparation for the procedure and its professional performance. Ways to restore damaged peeling skin are not universal; they are selected by cosmetologists individually for the client, taking into account the reaction of the skin, their type, sensitivity and possible complications. How to care for your skin after peeling can be read on the Internet, and better – check with a specialist.
The effect of peeling on the skin
Chemical and mechanical peels have the same effect on keratinized epidermis. Acidic or enzymatic compounds, abrasive chips, laser or ultrasound destroy the dense layer of dead cells, triggering the deep processes of natural rejuvenation. Injured upper skin perceives a violation of the integrity of the integument as a signal for regeneration: peels activate the formation of dermis of its own collagen fibers and hyaluronic acid molecules for intensive hydration. As a result of peelings, unaesthetic hyperkeratosis is replaced by young skin without previous imperfections.
Renewed integuments during the formation require careful treatment and special care. The first few days, any external exposure to delicate skin is dangerous. Therefore, it is important to make sure that the restoration and healing of new skin is calm – you need to minimize going out and using the usual hygiene products. It is better to schedule a peeling session on Friday evening and spend a weekend at home.
General tips for the three stages of recovery
Post-peeling facial treatment is individual for each visitor to cosmetology. The rules for skin care depend on its type, indications for peeling, the depth of chemical or mechanical damage and the symptoms of dermatological diseases. There are only a few universal recommendations for performing skin care procedures, which cosmetologists tell clients immediately after peeling.
In the first day after peeling is prohibited:
- wash your face with soap, gels or foams;
- touch the skin, comb or massage it;
- apply moisturizing creams, nourishing serums, masks or lotions for degreasing to the face;
- unnecessarily go outside or take walks, especially in sunny weather;
- use the pool, solarium, gym, sauna or steam room.
In the first three days after peeling, it is desirable:
- wash with slightly acidified water, hypoallergenic foams or gels with a light texture;
- apply healing cream to the face after peeling based on panthenol or lanolin;
- leave the house only when necessary, after having lubricated the face with sunscreen with a high level of SPF (not lower than 35);
- Protect your skin from strong winds, atmospheric pollution, low temperatures, precipitation and direct sunlight.
In the first two weeks after exfoliation it is recommended:
- care for the skin after peeling with the help of individually selected creams and ointments by a cosmetologist. The purpose of the remedy for restoring the skin will depend on their reaction to peeling and chronic ailments. Post-peeling preparations normalize the water-lipid balance of the skin, block the development of inflammation, tone and moisturize it, while binding free radicals;
- refrain from using the usual decorative cosmetics. Especially from products that clog pores, for example, powder, BB- and foundation, corrector of age spots and blush. It is also desirable to minimize eye and lip makeup so as not to disturb the skin with lotions to remove it;
- Do not touch the face and do not remove the formed tight crusts or scabs on your own. This can lead to the formation of scar tissue, hyperpigmentation and scars. It is necessary to patiently wait for their detachment;
- refuse to use scrubbing compounds, even if they are based on small crumbs and moisturizing components;
- refrain from tanning in the solarium or staying in the sun. Each time you go outside, your skin should be generously lubricated with a sunscreen with a high content of ultraviolet filters. Additional accessories, such as a hat and glasses, will also not be superfluous;
- Do not change the brand of decorative and care cosmetics for the prevention of allergic reactions;
- if necessary, use antihistamines and antibiotics that block itching and the spread of subcutaneous infections;
- refuse to swim in public pools, open ponds, visits to saunas, phyto barrels, steam rooms, hammams and infrared cabins.
On average, rehabilitation after peeling lasts two weeks. Only in the case of superficial exfoliation, the skin recovery period is reduced by half. During the healing of the skin, you need to be patient and not to deviate from the general rules of care.
Special care for norm and complications
In addition to following the universal advice of cosmetologists, care after peeling should be performed taking into account individual skin reactions to acid or mechanical irritation. The immune response of the epidermis to the stressful effects of cleaning products or abrasives is normal or atypical.
The standard effects of peelings are predictable and easily fixable, they disappear within 5-7 days. The cosmetologist warns the woman about such consequences immediately after peeling and tells how to care for the skin of the face when they appear. Unpredictable skin reactions to the effects of the peeling composition or technique are usually classified as complications. The appearance of side effects suggests that something went wrong during the peeling or preparation session. So, skin care after peeling should be enhanced, and sometimes therapeutic.
To understand what post-peeling facial skin care will be enough in your case, observe the skin for 3 days after the procedure. Normal reactions and possible complications will already appear, and you will have time to take action.
This is the expected reaction of the skin to a peeling effect, the absence of which, on the contrary, indicates the inefficiency of the procedure. The skin begins to peel off about 3 day after peeling. At this time, there is a feeling of tightness and increased dryness. Hyaluronic acid-based preparations, shea butter and jojoba oil, as well as an oily grape seed extract help relieve peeling discomfort. Natural care products will soften the tissues and allow you to forget about peeling in a week.
Hyperemia is a consequence of mid and deep facial peelings. In the first case, the redness of the tissues gradually weakens during 5-7 days, in the second, it may take 2-3 weeks to restore the skin. The main principle of caring for reddened tissues is the absence of factors that provoke blood flow. This can be training in the gym or increased physical activity (for example, lifting weights), stressful situations, the use of strong or tonic drinks, spicy or pickled foods. With hyperemia, dietary supplements based on the Omega-3 complex can be added to the diet. Fatty acids will help strengthen the walls of blood vessels and relieve redness.
Edema is a normal reaction to peels in owners of thin skin. Helps to get rid of them will help funds that contribute to the speedy healing of the upper layer of the epidermis. When puffiness appears, it is advisable to apply decongestant creams or serums containing antioxidants to the face.
Inflammatory skin rashes after peeling are abnormal, their cause lies either in improperly selected exfoliation, or in neglect of the rules of post-peeling care. Antiseptic and anti-inflammatory creams and gels, as well as zinc-based drying agents, will help get rid of pimples soon.
Such a skin reaction to peeling components or methods appears only if the cosmetologist has not performed an allergy test on the eve of exfoliation. An allergy shows that the patient suffers from an individual intolerance to the ingredients of the exfoliation composition or abrasive particles. Antihistamines in the form of drops, tablets or ointments will help get rid of the manifestations of this unaccounted factor.
Dark age spots
Abnormal hyperpigmentation after peeling can occur in two cases: with improper preparation for the procedure, or when it is performed during the solar activity season. A week before peeling, the skin is daily treated with glycolic or kojic acid, and the peeling itself is performed in late autumn or winter. If these rules are violated, instead of a happy reflection in the mirror, you can see a face strewn with freckles or brown spots. You can get rid of unexpected pigmentation using special bleaching agents. And also subject to the cosmetic “diet”: formulations based on essential oils of citrus, lavender and cinnamon are excluded from everyday use.
The formation of hard crusts at the site of a chemical burn is normal. If they are not removed and regularly treated with panthenol-based products, the layers of dead skin will come off on their own. Otherwise, scar tissue or a scar may form at the site of the crust, only serious cosmetic manipulations will help get rid of it.
Cleaning depth and care features
Recommendations for skin care after chemical peels and physical cleaning are always based on its depth. Different types of exfoliation suggest a different duration of the rehabilitation period of the skin. For example, it is possible to restore the skin after superficial peels in just a week, and after a radical deep exposure – not earlier than in a month.
It is easiest to care for your skin after mild surface peelings. The main rules of this stage are the refusal to use scrubbing products for at least a week and regular moisturizing of the skin with professional creams. Holders of dry or sensitive skin can add to the standard care the use of wound healing creams and the use of an additional liter of fluid per day. Such care will facilitate peeling and redness of the skin after fruit, almond, pyruvic or glycolic peeling.
Facial care after yellow peeling, as well as after multi-acid, coral and trichloroacetic exfoliation should be serious and lengthy. Severely injured epidermis can be cleaned only with sulfate-free products for washing once a day, regularly moisturized with creams or soothing masks. On the third day of post-peeling care, the use of wound healing agents is recommended.
Phenol peeling and laser resurfacing of the face in some cases require the patient to stay in a cosmetology hospital – the consequences of the procedures can be so serious. Skin recovery after a deep chemical or thermal burn is painful and long. Antibiotics are added to standard care to prevent the development of infection and suppuration, as well as pain medications. Within two days after the procedure, the person is forbidden to wash with water, and then – wipe with alcohol-containing agents. Sunscreens are becoming an indispensable attribute of a women’s handbag.
It is usually easy to take care of your face after peeling. If the peeling was correctly selected and performed, caring for the skin after peeling does not cause the woman unpleasant sensations and is limited to applying healing ointments and sunscreens. In case of side effects, medications against allergies and the development of infection can be added to surface regeneration agents. Also, cosmetologists do not prohibit the use of homemade masks and decoctions. For example, a natural face mask made from banana pulp will help moisturize the skin and relieve redness.