TCA median peeling is a serious facial cleansing procedure, after which the result is difficult to miss. The weakened, wrinkled and pale skin gives way to a renewed and elastic – and this is not a fairy tale at all. It is also worth noting that with improper use of the main active ingredient of trichloroacetic acid, peeling can result in a nightmare and serious complications.
TSA peeling: a fairy tale or a nightmare
Chemical peeling with trichloroacetic acid or TCA peeling is a complex cosmetic procedure. Its complexity lies in the high responsibility of the contractor. An incorrect dosage of trichloroacetic acid, excessive movement or non-compliance with recommendations during the rehabilitation period can cost you a person disfigured by scars, creases and bleached spots.
But, at the same time, if everything was performed at the highest level, all safety rules are observed, then the result can be pleasantly shocking. The new skin will be supple and toned, without flaws and wrinkles that give it an extra age – your face is as if “reborn”.
Medium TCA peeling can hardly be called even partially safe, not to mention the deep peeling procedure. Therefore, when choosing it, you must understand the seriousness of trichloroacetic exposure and the possible irreversible consequences in the form of severe burns and traces after them.
Trichloroacetic superficial peeling or median TCA peeling should be performed only by a qualified cosmetologist, they do not tolerate errors and careless attitude. If you decide on a trichloroacetic procedure, take strictly to the choice of the clinic and its staff. Otherwise, it may cost you ugliness or prolonged treatment of unpleasant consequences.
Pros and Cons of the procedure
Before proceeding in detail to the procedure of median trichloroacetic peeling, we will understand its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of trichloroacetic peeling:
- Indisputable leadership in impact effectiveness and final result – many patients could not even imagine such a transformation after peeling, it is so fantastic;
- Along with phenol peeling, trichloroacetic acid appears to be safer. The main thing is compliance with all the rules of the procedure and safety measures during the rehabilitation period;
- Quick effect – lightening pigmentation on the face can be noticed immediately after peeling. This is due to the instant denaturation of proteins in contact with the active acid;
- If we talk about the effect of low concentration of trichloroacetic acid (up to 15%), then we can note an insignificant period of rehabilitation, compared with the high efficiency of the procedure;
- The active components of the peeling agent are evenly distributed over the skin and immediately begin to act actively, so the whole process of trichloroacetic peeling does not take much time.
Along with the positive aspects of the procedure, TCA peeling has disadvantages:
- Soreness of the procedure;
- After mid-trichloroacetic peeling, patients often have extensive stratified peeling of the face skin. This only prolongs the period of full recovery;
- High acid activity, rapid and deep penetration into the inner layers of the skin do not tolerate the slowness and lack of professionalism of a cosmetologist;
- An impressive list of contraindications and mandatory consultation, examination of the attending physician before conducting acid exposure.
Given that TCA peeling is not used to solve simple skin problems, then this is quite a worthy procedure. The soreness and complexity of the trichloroacetic procedure justifies an incredible and fantastic result, the solution of the most complicated tasks. How much everything goes smoothly already depends on the beautician and your attitude to the rehabilitation period.
Trichloroacetic peeling cannot be performed independently at home due to the high risk of complications, their danger and the mandatory professionalism of the performer. Take care of your health, trust this complex procedure only to specialists.
Concentration and possibilities of trichloroacetic acid
Trichloroacetic acid refers to organic substances. It instantly affects tissues and causes a number of changes:
- Loosens the epidermis and creates all conditions for the removal of the upper layers of the skin. After this cleansing, the face relief is smoothed, and the renewed skin becomes smooth and supple;
- The deep exposure of the substance accompanies the active growth of new cells, an increase in the protective properties of the skin and its rapid regeneration;
- Reduces the amount of secretion of the sebaceous glands, narrows the pores and eliminates the oily sheen on the face;
- It creates a harmful environment for most bacteria, this delays the appearance of inflammatory acne and infections in the future;
- Tightens the skin, facial contours become clear, like 5 – 10 years ago;
- It blocks the negative effects of free radicals and impurities of heavy metals, prevents the destruction of the structure of cells and the protective barrier of the skin;
- It removes pores from comedones and sebaceous plugs, normalizes the respiration of the integument and stimulates microcirculation in the deeper layers.
The concentration of trichloroacetic acid affects the duration of exposure and subsequent care after peeling. Conventionally, TCA peels, depending on the percentage of reagent, are 3 types:
- Surface peeling TCA or peeling TCA 15 – the content of trichloroacetic acid does not exceed 15%. Diluted acid acts on the surface layers of the skin and does not reach the dermis. The chemical effect lasts 10 – 15 minutes at the discretion of the cosmetologist until the appearance of severe reddening of the tissues (erythema);
- Median TCA peeling or peeling TCA 30 – the concentration of trichloroacetic acid can reach 35%. Exposure lasts up to 20 minutes or until a white film appears on the face (frost effect). The hue of the spot indicates the depth of the acid effect. Deaf white foci are a sign of a deep chemical burn, which led to the denaturation of the dermis protein;
- Deep TCA peeling – the concentration of acid reagent can reach 40%. In this form, the acid is used pointwise to cauterize tumors. This is done in rare cases, because the risk of complications is extremely high.
Cosmetologists attribute the trichloroacetic peeling method not to aesthetic procedures, but to medical ones. They use it in cases where the problem is really complex and cannot be solved by the more sparing BHA or ANA acids. Therefore, the choice of the concentration of the main component also rests with them.
Indications for the TCA procedure
TCA face peeling is used when action is needed decisive and effective, when the risk is truly justified. This applies to such skin problems:
- Scars, stretch marks on the face;
- Skin pigmentation, including sun and age freckles (lentigo);
- Residual traces of acne, acne;
- Increased oily skin, enlarged pores and tendency to acne;
- Hyperkeratosis or increased peeling of the stratum corneum;
- Melasma and congenital age spots;
- Pronounced photoaging of the skin, an excess of wrinkles and creases on the face;
- Furrows, roughness of the epidermis;
- Age-related skin defects, loss of tone and dull color.
TCA peeling will easily correct these shortcomings, restore elasticity and restore healthy gloss, smoothness and elasticity to the epidermis. However, do not forget about contraindications. Unfortunately, for trichloroacetic purification, their list is quite impressive.
The trichloroacetic peeling procedure is performed only if there are indications for its use, when other, more gentle methods, will not bring excellent results, as well as in the absence of contraindications. There are a lot of them, so you can’t do without a preliminary consultation with a cosmetologist and studying the patient’s medical history.
Note the main limitations to the face peeling procedure with trichloroacetic acid:
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- The presence of open wounds and rosacea on the face;
- Infectious, dermatological diseases and stages of their exacerbation;
- Fever and inflammatory processes in the body, SARS;
- Tendency to keloid and hypertrophic scars;
- Less than 2 months have passed since the previous deep or median peeling, mesotherapy or biorevitalization procedures associated with tissue trauma;
- With exacerbation of chronic ailments;
- Dermatitis, papillomas and warts;
- Fresh tan;
- Certain types of treatment, mental disorders.
Beauticians also recommend postponing the procedure for patients with increased sensitivity of the integument during the menstrual period. Please note that the action of trichloroacetic acid can provoke accelerated male hair growth (hirsutism).
Preparation for TCA peeling
Trichloroacetic peeling should be planned for the cold period (October – March). This allows you to qualitatively prepare the skin for cleansing and reduce the risk of unpleasant consequences. Pre-peeling preparation involves several stages:
- For 1 a month before trichloroacetic peeling, refuse trips to saunas, baths or tanning salons. It is also not recommended at this time to carry out hair removal, eyebrow correction. For bathing, do not use a washcloth, scrubbing compounds and even cotton pads, so as not to injure the tissue.
- For 14 – 20 days before trichloroacetic face cleansing, perform surface peeling with glycolic acid.
- In the period between peels, regularly use creams with the addition of fruit acids, moisturizers, and before going out onto the skin, apply sunscreen lotion.
- In order to accelerate the restoration of fibers after TCA peeling in the preparatory period, use preparations that are conducive to strengthening the walls of blood vessels.
- It will be useful to carry out the prevention of herpes a few days before the trichloroacetic procedure, for this, take antiviral medications for some time.
Each stage of trichloroacetic peeling is important and requires maximum participation, compliance with the recommendations of specialists. Minimum deviations can affect the final result, the duration of the rehabilitation period and adversely affect the patient’s condition.
How is trichloroacetic cleansing
After the preparatory stage, the moment of climax comes or directly peeling with trichloroacetic acid itself. Anesthesia is rarely performed for him, so tune in to the pain. The higher the concentration of trichloroacetic acid, the stronger the burning sensation and pain. To alleviate these symptoms, the beautician can offer a fan or fan.
First, the cosmetologist will remove all dust particles, body fat and dirt using a special cleansing gel. Then an acid solution is applied to the skin. And this is done quickly and evenly to control the burn was easier. For 20 minutes, a specialist observes changes with the skin. Under the influence of trichloroacetic acid, the color of the integument changes, white foci appear (frost effect), according to these signs, the cosmetologist judges the degree of burn and the need to stop peeling.
With the surface effect of trichloroacetic acid, pink frost appears, a strong rush of blood to the surface is observed, with a surface-median burn – the foci acquire a milky, bluish tint. The appearance of dense (deaf) white frost indicates the damage to the basement membrane, a white coating (“hoarfrost”) appears on the face surface – at this stage, the middle TCA peeling is completed.
To neutralize the acid effect, the cosmetologist uses a special alkaline solution, which is then washed off with clean water. Finally, a soothing mask and moisturizer are applied to the face.
The trichloroacetic peeling procedure can be repeated in the absence of complications and side effects after cleansing. Beauticians recommend that you take a break of at least 3 months between superficial TCA peelings, and 1 do a median and deep peeling once a year.
How to care for skin after peeling
In order for the restoration and renewal of the skin to proceed quickly and without complications, you must adhere to all the recommendations of your doctor.
In the first day after the trichloroacetic procedure, a strong redness or erythema persists on the face. It goes in different ways. Some patients experience a redness reduction after 4 hours, while others endure it until 5 days.
Starting from the second day, dark crusts form on the face. After 5 – 6 days, they exfoliate, giving way to young and pink skin. A few days later it brightens and takes on the usual shade.
In no case do not peel off the darkened crusts from the face during the rehabilitation period. This can provoke the appearance of residual scars and scars on the skin.
To reduce side effects and speed up the healing process, cosmetologists advise using the following tools:
- Cosmetic products aimed at enhancing the regeneration and moisturizing of the skin. A striking example of such substances is aloe vera extract or hyaluronic acid;
- High protection sunscreen (SPF by 50);
- Additional funds that block the appearance of pigmentation on the skin;
- Anti-inflammatory and vasoprotective drugs to reduce inflammatory processes, swelling and hyperemia (for example, calendula extract);
- Preparations with high antioxidant properties, for example, green tea extract;
- Preparations that prevent the appearance of scars are vitamin complexes, products with a high content of zinc;
- Ceramides are a separate group of drugs aimed at increasing the protective barrier, reducing the sensitivity of the skin;
- Antiviral drugs for internal use. Weakened tissues are very sensitive to attacks of infections and herpes, so taking medications on the first 3-4 days after trichloroacetic peeling is mandatory.
Additionally, cosmetologists advise resorting to biorevitalization based on hyaluronic acid. This component is considered the “queen of water and youth” for the skin, therefore, in the difficult post-peeling period, its help is extremely important.
The rehabilitation period after trichloroacetic acid peeling takes place under the regular supervision of a cosmetologist. Intensive skin care lasts at least 14 days, and in the presence of complications and side effects, the doctor prescribes additional measures and medications.
The procedure of mid trichloroacetic peeling of the face is one of the most effective chemical cleansing of the skin. After one peeling, the skin becomes elastic, without wrinkles and age spots, 10 years younger. But the responsibility and high risk of possible complications restrains many women in its implementation. If you still decide to carry out trichloroacetic peeling, then take seriously the choice of clinic and skin care after the procedure. What awaits you after peeling with trichloroacetic acid: fabulous beauty or ugliness – depends more on these two factors.