Chemical peeling at home is a great way to achieve perfect skin, eliminate acne, black spots and delay aging of the skin without extra costs. By applying to the face a special composition filled with one or more acids, you can correct skin imperfections. Preferring home salon peels, it is important to consider the risk of complications. Even a slight error in the procedure and excess concentration of the product will leave unpleasant consequences after cleansing.
- 1 What is chemical peeling?
- 2 What types of exfoliations are
- 3 Pros and Cons of the procedure
- 4 Indications and contraindications
- 5 Security measures for home cleansing
- 6 Popular methods of acid exposure
- 7 Alternative Home Cleansing Options
What is chemical peeling?
Our skin is made up of many cells. The life of each of them is short-lived, only 28 days. If in youth the skin is able to independently get rid of dead cells and replace them with new and elastic ones, then this process slows down with age, and non-working particles accumulate, forming layers. Such accumulations worsen the condition of the integument, clog the pores and prevent the ingress of nutrients and oxygen into the epidermis. It is at this moment that it is worth discovering what peeling is.
Dead cells are “weighting agents” of the skin, they weaken the inner skeleton of the integument, and interfere with the normal functioning of other, healthy cells. The main task of cosmetology and peeling is not only to eliminate these “weighting agents”, but also to minimize damage to the integument.
Chemical peeling is the best way to quickly and efficiently clean the covers, but aggressive components (concentrated acids, alkali) are used for this.
The essence of chemical face peeling is quite simple: an acid composition is applied to the face, which burns out the upper layer of cells. Damage to the integument causes active regeneration, renewal of fibers. New fabrics differ from previous ones in elasticity, softness, respectively, and the face looks younger. In addition, the “new” skin easily absorbs the beneficial components of makeup products, thereby increasing its effectiveness.
What types of exfoliations are
There are several classifications of chemical face peels. This is affected by the degree and depth of exposure to the acid, as well as the composition of the agent (exfoliant) used.
According to the depth of exposure, facial skin peels are superficial, median and deep.
- Superficial peels are the easiest and most gentle procedures, because the chemical effect is limited in the upper layers of the epidermis. They are easily tolerated and rarely cause complications.
- Median peels are a more serious intervention, the chemical ingredient affects the deeper layers of the skin. Such a procedure is a strong stress for the integument, but the end result noticeably exceeds expectations. After a mid peeling, the skin needs good support and good post-peeling care. The speed of fiber recovery and the ease of the rehabilitation period depend on this.
- Deep peeling – in terms of effectiveness, it is comparable even with surgical intervention. Acids affect all layers of the epidermis, up to the reticular dermis. The slightest violation in the performance of purification. Unprofessionalism of the performer and non-compliance with the requirements for the care of damaged fibers is dangerous with serious complications and even residual scars, colorless spots on the face and other complications.
Chemical peeling of the face at home is recommended to be done only superficial, in rare cases a deeper effect is allowed. Deep peeling at home is not possible. For such chemical cleaning, sterile conditions and high professionalism are necessary.
According to the composition of the used means of exfoliation with acids, they are divided into single-acid and multi-acid.
- Multi-acid peels allow complex action on the skin, strengthen epidermal cells, normalize their functioning and sebaceous glands, moisturize and bleach. Each of the acids used contributes to improving the quality of the skin, so after such procedures the face looks fresh and shines with health.
- Monoacids are recommended for use with a pronounced problem, in order to eliminate it. For example, to combat acne, dryness or oily skin, against the first signs of aging or from skin pigmentation.
For home chemical peeling, the following are considered the safest, but at the same time highly effective, acids:
- trichloroacetic and others.
The choice of acid for exfoliation depends on your own preferences, on the condition of the skin and the degree of problem. But in any case, before doing facial peeling at home using aggressive components, it is recommended to visit a cosmetologist.
Pros and Cons of the procedure
Chemical peeling for the face has proven its unequivocal recognition of women and men. This is the most popular procedure in beauty salons.
Today, cosmetic companies offer those who can not visit the beauty parlor, perform it at home. For this, separate, safer acid formulations have been created. Using them according to the recommendations of the manufacturer, you can achieve excellent results.
The main advantages of home acid peels:
- No need to wait for a appointment with a beautician, make time for a visit to a beauty salon or even push your own plans. Home chemical peeling can be done at a time convenient for you.
- Saving finance. For chemical peeling at home, you can use finished cosmetic products and improvised products (fruit juices, aspirin, inexpensive pharmacy products). No need to overpay on the services of a professional.
The negative aspects of home cleansing are also available:
- High risk of harming oneself due to insufficient experience in cosmetology. A mistake in choosing an acidic agent, improper exfoliation and exceeding the exposure time can negatively affect the skin, cause complications.
- We need systematic implementation. One home acid peeling procedure will not provide the same result as in a beauty salon. This is due to a lower percentage of the acidity of the composition. To achieve a significant effect, be patient.
Chemical peeling at home is not able to eliminate significant skin problems, but it will perfectly complement facial care, delay the appearance of wrinkles and sagging skin, partially correct existing deficiencies and prevent their deepening in the future.
Indications and contraindications
Carrying out home facial peeling with acids is recommended at the first sign of withering of the skin. Indications for chemical exfoliation will be:
- grayness, dullness of the shade of the epidermis;
- sagging, decreased natural tone;
- loss of elasticity of soft tissues, their sagging on the cheeks;
- frequent single rashes, acne and comedones;
- clogged and enlarged pores, black dots on the face;
- first facial wrinkles;
- oily skin shine.
Before making facial peeling with chemical compounds, consult a specialist whether it can be carried out correctly and without complications. At the consultation, a cosmetologist will examine your integument for contraindications.
It is unacceptable to perform facial peeling at home in such cases:
- there is an allergy to the components of the drug;
- with ulcers, wounds on the face, as well as with exacerbation of acne;
- herpes spilled on the face or there are cancerous tumors, papillomas;
- there is inflammation in the treated area;
- with disorders of the nervous system and severe violations of any of the body systems;
- with exacerbation of chronic diseases:
- the patient feels unwell, in a febrile state;
- during pregnancy and lactation;
- at an early age (up to 18 years).
It is recommended to postpone the procedure during menstruation, while taking hormonal drugs. During this period, the effect may be unexpected or completely absent.
Security measures for home cleansing
How to do peeling so as not to harm yourself and not further complicate the situation? It is difficult to predict all the subtleties and possible issues when performing a purification, but the basic rules are to discuss:
- Before you do peeling at home for the first time or when using a new composition, be sure to conduct a test for individual sensitivity to the product used.
- The preferred time for peeling is late autumn and winter. Sun rays at this time have less effect on the skin, especially with weakened protective properties.
- When choosing an exfoliation technique and composition, rely on your skin type, study the comments on the product, warnings for use.
- The peeling product is applied evenly, in a thin layer. The area near the eyes, do not touch the lips, so as not to dry the delicate fibers.
- Carefully read the instructions for the drug before doing chemical peeling.
- The action of acids can cause a slight tingling, tingling, but there should not be painful sensations, burning. If they appear without slowing down, neutralize the effect of the acid and rinse off its particles to prevent burns.
- It is not safe to carry out deep face peeling at home, even if they are less intense than in the salon.
- Home skin cleansing, like salon peeling, is carried out in courses, but not more often 1 times in 10 – 14 days.
- Acids have an aggressive effect on the epidermis, after it the fibers are damaged and weakened, so it is strongly recommended not to touch the face with your hands in the first days. To moisturize the skin, you can use sprays and thermal water.
- Cosmetics for skin care after the procedure should not contain acids, fragrances, chemical components and abrasive particles. Only mild, natural products will be beneficial to the skin during the recovery period.
- Any mechanical effect on the integument after cleaning, peeling and scrubbing is unacceptable. So you do not accelerate the peeling of old fibers, and provoke the formation of scars and scars.
Be careful, low-quality, expired products cause allergies and irritate the skin. It is better to buy peeling ingredients or finished preparations at the pharmacy or from a representative of the manufacturer. On the market and in questionable retail outlets, storage standards are often not respected, as a result of which the funds quickly deteriorate.
Popular methods of acid exposure
Almost all surface exfoliations carried out in a beauty salon can be performed at home without any problems. Cosmetic companies take care of customers, and offer separate product lines for home cleansing. Inside each preparation there is an instruction with a detailed description of how to do the peeling correctly.
Consider several popular and worthy methods for home conducting.
One of the popular acid procedures in modern cosmetology is considered to be yellow peeling or Jessner peeling. The composition for exfoliation of the face includes several acids simultaneously (lactic, salicylic and resorcinol). Their complex effect deeply cleanses the skin, normalizes metabolic processes, activates collagen synthesis and prevents the appearance of acne, blackheads on the face.
The full course of this type of exfoliation is conditionally divided at the 3 stage:
- Deep cleansing and acceleration of intracellular processes.
- Anti-aging effect, correction of the surface relief of the face.
- The fight against extensive acne rashes, deep wrinkles and age-related defects.
Each stage is distinguished by the number of layers of application of the peeling agent and, accordingly, the depth of exposure to the integument. However, the algorithm of actions is one:
- We cleanse the face of grease and dust.
- Apply an exfoliant.
- We neutralize the acid.
- We remove the remains of the acid preparation.
- Soothing the skin with a moisturizer.
One layer is enough for the first stage, two for the second and three for the third. Each subsequent layer is applied after 5 minutes from the previous one. For patients with sensitive integuments, the third layer is applied after a short period of time to prevent the appearance of wounds on the face.
Skin care after peeling is an equally important stage of the procedure. To avoid unpleasant traces on the face from acid exposure, adhere to the following rules:
- After exfoliation, wash with acidified water. The movements should be as soft as possible, not traumatic;
- peeling and crusts formed after a chemical burn, do not peel off, wait for their natural rejection;
- Do not visit the bathhouse, solarium, sauna and pool, postpone physical activity and exercise until the covers are completely restored;
- during the month, exclude sunbathing, avoid direct sunlight;
- use sunscreen every day for 3 – 4 months to prevent pigmentation on your face;
- Do not use makeup in the first 7 – 10 days;
- Do not use cosmetic products containing alcohol, aggressive chemical additives, or perfumes until the skin is completely restored.
Lactic acid is contained in small quantities in the cells of the epidermis, so the cleansing technique of the same name is easily perceived by the skin, as a rule, without complications and prolonged rehabilitation. Consider how to make chemical peeling with lactic acid at home:
- 2 weeks before the planned cleansing, put off the sun baths, and add a cream with a small amount of lactic acid to daily care.
- Check how the skin reacts to the acid composition: apply a little on your wrist and wait for a reaction. Severe burning, pain and irritation are unacceptable.
- Clean your face with tonic or cleanser.
- Apply diluted milk solution (the concentration of lactic acid must not exceed 10%). Do this with cotton buds, parallel strips from the forehead to the chin. It is important to distribute the composition evenly so as not to burn out individual areas.
- For the first procedure, limit yourself to 1 minute exposure to the integument, in the future, increase this time to 3 minutes.
- To neutralize the effect of acid, treat your face with a weak alkaline solution (1 tsp. Baking soda in 200 ml of water). Rinse off the remaining product with plenty of water.
- Moisturize your face with cream.
Carry out the following cleaning procedure after at least 7 – 10 days. In general, the course of peelings is up to 5 procedures.
The main rule of the rehabilitation period is that you cannot use products with retinol in the composition, and fatty creams are also unacceptable in the early days. The rest of the recommendations are general: no thermal effects (baths, saunas, compresses, physical activity) and intensive moisturizing of damaged tissues.
This type of cleansing is safe and hypoallergenic. The procedure allows you to improve the metabolism in the cells of the epidermis, smooth out wrinkles and folds on the face, even out the shade and eliminate the problem with acne. Visible changes will become noticeable after just a few procedures.
This kind of exfoliation will prove useful in 25 and in 45 years. Glycolic acid with a concentration of 10 – 15% is used for purification.
Glycolic acid peeling is performed in the following order:
- The face is cleaned of dust and particles of makeup.
- For degreasing integuments, the face is additionally wiped with glycolic acid-based lotion (5%).
- The exfoliant (glycolic acid up to 15%) is applied to the skin with a uniform, thin layer. Wrinkles and problem areas can be reprocessed. Use cotton buds to apply the product. Begin peeling from the forehead, gently lowering to the chin. The sensitive area around the eyes, eyelids and lips is better not to touch.
- When applied, wait a while for the ingredient to work. Then apply gel neutralizer. Rinse off acid residues with warm water.
- Fix the result with a natural nourishing mask and moisturizer.
Beauticians recommend conducting the procedure in courses (up to 10 sessions) with an interval of 1 – 1,5 weeks.
Attention! Do not increase the acid concentration by more than 15%, so as not to provoke a severe chemical burn. For more pronounced results, consult a specialist, because making deep peeling at home is very dangerous.
Alternative Home Cleansing Options
Effective peeling can be performed using improvised means. Their recipes are simple and do not require long cooking. Consider the best of them.
Aspirin for face cleansing
This type of cleansing is suitable for problematic and oily skin. After the first session, the oily sheen will disappear, the pores will be cleaned, and acne will become less noticeable and inflamed. All this is due to the antibacterial and drying property of aspirin.
To prepare the peeling solution you will need:
- aspirin (1 – 2 tablets);
- 1 tsp. honey;
- 1 tsp cooled boiled water;
- egg yolk.
To carry out peeling, observe the following sequence of actions:
- Grind aspirin and dissolve it in water.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients to the mixture. Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Distribute the prepared composition on the face area like a normal mask. To do this, use a brush.
- After application, leave the mixture on your face for 5 minutes.
- The product is removed with a cotton pad soaked in warm water or a weak alkaline solution. Do this gently so as not to damage the skin.
- Fix the result with a light moisturizer.
Lemon juice instead of chemistry
You can cleanse the skin of dirt, dead cells and whiten the skin with lemon. Lemon peeling is performed in the following order:
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and strain it.
- Moisten a cotton pad in concentrate, and then wipe it with a previously cleaned face. Do not apply around eyes, lips and eyelids.
- After 10 – 15 minutes, wash with warm water.
- Moisturize your face with cream.
Attention! Do not use citric acid to cleanse, only lemon juice.
The procedure is simple but effective. In addition, lemon juice whitens the skin, fills the cells with nutrients, vitamins, normalizes metabolic processes and skin regeneration.
For home peeling, you can use any fruit, berries. They will fill the epidermal cells with life-giving elements and will not harm. Owners of dry type of integument are recommended to use softer peels with kefir (it contains a large amount of lactic acid). Remember, the secret of long skin youth lies in high-quality and timely care, which can be provided even at home! Peeling the face, body, hands at home is convenient, affordable and very useful!