The modern beauty industry has borrowed from medicine many methods of beneficial healing of the body. Among them, phonophoresis is a procedure based on the use of ultrasonic waves that can penetrate into the thickness of the dermis and deliver particles of medicinal preparations directly deep into the problem area. This technology allows you to solve a wide range of problems, ranging from rejuvenation of the skin, ending with the fight against stretch marks, cellulite and acne.
What is phonophoresis?
Ultraphonophoresis is a complex healing process. To conduct it (depending on the indications), special cosmetic or therapeutic preparations are selected that are introduced deep into the dermis using ultrasonic (ultrasound) oscillations generated by special devices.
Deposits are carried out to a depth of 2 to 10 centimeters, through the intercellular space, cell membranes, and glands. In one session, it is possible to deliver no more than 15 percent of nutrients, which is why the procedure is carried out by a course consisting of 8 – 15 sessions, during which the introduced drugs accumulate. Improvements come after the 5 visit to the beautician. The repeated course is conducted no earlier than 3 months after the first.
Ultraphonophoresis exists in three variations. Radiated waves are classified as:
- High-frequency (3000 kHz, penetration depth – up to 2 centimeters).
- Mid-frequency (800 kHz, penetration depth – from 4 to 6 centimeters).
- Low-frequency (22 kHz, penetration depth – from 8 to 10 centimeters).
Procedures are also divided by the type of drug used. Thus, ultraphonophoresis with hydrocortisone, hyaluronic acid and antibiotics is the most popular in cosmetology.
Phonophoresis in cosmetology has a fairly wide range of applications. So, the procedure is prescribed in the following cases:
- Cellulite (from 1 to 4 stage), lipid metabolism disorder.
- The presence of scars.
- Stretch marks.
- Increased dryness or sensitivity of the skin, the inability to conduct other cosmetic procedures involving mechanical action.
- Age-related changes in the skin (folds and wrinkles).
- Swelling and reduced skin tone.
- Acne and acne, increased secretion of sweat, sebum.
- Inflammatory processes.
Also, phonophoresis is used to recover after plastic surgery and aggressive cosmetic procedures. In medicine, it is used to treat arthritis, mechanical injuries, trophic ulcers, diseases of the digestive system, teeth.
Despite the low invasiveness and visual safety, phonophoresis has many contraindications. Beauticians and physiotherapists do not recommend a similar procedure when:
- pregnancy (special danger – early stages);
- oncological diseases;
- rehabilitation after surgery;
- infectious and viral diseases in acute stages;
- the presence of ectopic spirals, pacemakers, metal structures;
- high pressure;
- cardiac pathologies;
- inflammation of the trigeminal nerve;
- instability of the psyche;
- vegetative-vascular dystonia;
- inflammation in the treatment area;
- significant underweight;
- pathologies of the endocrine system;
- the presence of filaments, fillers or implants in the treatment area.
Do not use medications for individual intolerance.
Principle of action and effect
Ultrasonic phonophoresis forms the results gradually, from procedure to procedure. The impact that he has is indicated by the term vibrothermolysis, thanks to him the following changes occur in the patient’s body:
- Increasing skin elasticity by generating heat that accelerates collagen repair. It is formed due to the absorption and transformation of ultrasonic waves.
- Improving cell permeability for used drugs. Achieved due to mechanical vibrations, loosening connective tissue.
- Destruction of bacteria and microorganisms, reduction of inflammatory processes.
- Softening of connective tissue (this property is used to treat scars).
- Anesthesia of the skin due to ultrasound exposure and a decrease in the sensitivity of nerve endings.
- Improving local metabolic processes, blood circulation, lymph flow.
- Elimination of puffiness.
- The narrowing of the pores, a change in the level of oily skin in a smaller direction.
Ultraphonophoresis of the face involves rejuvenation, cleansing, as well as moisturizing the skin. The first half of the effect obtained in this case is determined by the drugs used, which are introduced into the dermis, and the second half – by massage from ultrasonic vibrations, which increase the tone. As a result of the manipulations, already after one session, the skin becomes tightened and fresh in appearance.
Stages of the procedure
Ultrasonic phonophoresis is carried out according to a standardized algorithm. Such a procedure involves the following steps:
- Cleansing. If necessary, remove makeup residue.
- Antiseptic treatment.
- Application of a medicinal or cosmetic composition.
- Ultrasonic exposure (it can be continuous and pulsed, the movements during processing are linear or circular, the exposure time per zone for up to 20 seconds when the sensor is moved, they change during the procedure).
- Use moisturizer.
Preparations for the procedure
Ultraphonophoresis is carried out on the basis of a variety of drugs, determined by the existing problems. After examining the reviews of cosmetologists, we can conclude that the following procedures are more often practiced:
- Phonophoresis with hyaluronic acid. The task is rejuvenation of the skin. Hyaluronic acid preparations are combined with vitamin E, plant extracts.
- Phonophoresis with hydrocortisone. The task is to relieve inflammation, improve blood circulation. For the same purpose, a course of antibiotics, curiosin and other similar means is carried out.
- Phonophoresis with lidase. The task is to eliminate scars, the effects of acne.
- Phonophoresis with caripain. The task is to eliminate scars, adhesions.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantage that ultraphonophoresis has is painlessness. Patient reviews confirm that during the procedure there is no pain and discomfort, the only sensation is a slight and pleasant vibration of the treated area. In addition, ultrasonic phonophoresis is not accompanied by side effects and complications, nor does it require rehabilitation after exposure.
Among the shortcomings are numerous contraindications, the need to visit a large number of sessions and frequent repetition of treatment courses.
Phonophoresis is a physiotherapeutic procedure that is actively used in cosmetology. The results are based on ultrasonic waves and medications injected into the dermis with their help. It is carried out to rejuvenate, treat skin, reduce cellulite. Positive results are achieved after completing the full course, consisting of a minimum of 5 sessions.