Citric acid is a tricarboxylic hydroxy acid used as a food additive to impart a sour taste to a dish. In addition, it prevents the appearance of bad smell, mold, harmful microorganisms in the finished food products. “Lemon” is a white crystalline substance, soluble in ethyl alcohol and water. As an acidity regulator, the compound is labeled under the codes E330 — Е333. Its esters and salts are called citrates.
Citric acid is found in Chinese lemongrass, lemon (especially unripe fruits), citrus fruits, berries, and needles. It has anti-tumor, anti-aging and anti-bacterial properties. Improves digestion, removes toxins, toxins, cleansing the body. With moderate consumption stimulates appetite, stimulates the pancreas, improves digestion.
Chemical formula – C6H8O7.
For the first time, citric acid was obtained from the immature fruits of lemongrass in 1874, by the Swedish chemist Karl Scheele. On an industrial scale, it is produced by synthesizing mold fungus strains and sugar or sugary substances.
The largest producers of citric acid in the world are China, Russia, which produce four hundred thousand tons of food additives per year.
The effect of citric acid on the human body.
- A beneficial effect on the digestive system: removes slags, salts, accelerates the burning of carbohydrates in anaerobic conditions and the digestion of food. Promotes balanced weight loss.
- Normalizes the functioning of the psycho– neuro– and endocrine systems.
- Improves eyesight.
- Strengthens immunity.
- Increases the level of calcium in the body.
- It gives skin firmness, elasticity, stimulates cell renewal, eliminates wrinkles. To eliminate pigment spots and even out the tone of the face, citric acid is recommended as pilling. Lotions, masks and creams containing organic compounds effectively remove toxic substances from the body.
- Reduces food intoxication of the body. Therefore, it is recommended to take it to relieve the symptoms and effects of a hangover.
- Provides antiseptic properties. To get rid of a sore throat, rinse the mouth cavity with an 30% citric acid solution every hour until relief comes.
Useful properties of the concentrate E330 depend on the area of its use. However, before using the drug for medical purposes, consult with your doctor, because the acid has strict limitations on its use and may harm human health.
Use and contraindications
Areas of use of citric acid.
- In the food industry. It gives a balanced taste to dishes, drinks, ranging from salted cucumbers, pumping fruit jelly. In addition, Е330 is used in the manufacture of processed varieties of cheese (to improve elasticity) and the preservation of fruits and vegetables (to preserve the elasticity, “crunch” of products). The additive plays a special role in the production of bakery products, since it acts as a dough baking powder. The combination of baking soda (Е500) and lemon concentrate (Е330) causes a violent reaction, accompanied by the release of carbon dioxide, which gives lightness and fluffiness of flour products.
- At home. Due to its ability to dissolve calcium, citric acid helps to easily remove scale, plaque, rust from surfaces, therefore it is a part of cleaning and detergents.
- In the cosmetic industry to improve, clarify the tone of the face, removing freckles, tightening the enlarged pores. However, remember, a high concentration of the compound in skin care products causes a chemical burn of the epidermis. Citric acid makes a smooth, shiny, strong nail plate, while its too frequent use leads to the opposite effect: softening of the nail.
- In the pharmaceutical industry. Е330 is included in the composition of drugs that improve energy metabolism. In addition, sodium citrate (Е331) is used in medicine to prevent blood coagulation, reduce acidity in peripheral renal acidosis, as a laxative. 5% sodium citrate solution is used to determine the erythrocyte sedimentation rate by means of the Pachenkov method, and 4% is used as an anticoagulant in the case of hardware donation of blood components of donors.
Working with a concentrated solution of citric acid, remember, the excessive flow of compounds with food can damage tooth enamel, cause aggravation of gastritis, ulcers, and bloody vomiting. In case of contact with eyes, on the skin – redness, burn, allergies. Inhalation of a dry preservative irritates the respiratory tract, accompanied by a coughing fit. Therefore, for safety reasons, use citric acid with caution only in diluted form, keeping to the concentration indicated in the recipe.
Food supplements E330 – Е333 is a synthetic product that aggressively affects the enamel of the teeth, the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract, the oral cavity. People with impaired renal function, digestive organs are prohibited to use citric acid. Otherwise, it will stimulate the inflammatory process, causing pain.
To avoid the appearance of microcracks on the surface of the tooth enamel, after each use of food, beverages and products containing “lemon”, it is necessary to rinse out the mouth in the required order.
Citric acid has a diuretic effect. The principle of its action is based on the removal of excess fluid from the body, due to which saliva becomes viscous, a person’s taste perception changes, the desire to eat is suppressed, which leads to a decrease in body volume.
According to the health organization committee, the daily intake of citric acid should not exceed 120 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Optimally, this indicator is in the range from 66 to 80 milligrams per kilogram of weight.
When does the body’s need for citric acid increase?
With increased physical exertion, the manifestation of the effects of stress, under the influence of extreme external factors.
When to limit the intake of citric acid?
With the erosion of tooth enamel, gastric juice hypersecretion, gastritis, gastric ulcer.
Signs of a lack of a compound in the body: the desire to eat something sour. The lack of organic acids causes alkalization of the internal environment, which is extremely rare. Considering the fact that the food additive E330 is used in cooking for the production of fizzy drinks, jelly, candy, sauce, preservation, mayonnaise, ketchup, jam, tonic drinks and cold teas, people often develop an excess of the compound in the body than a deficiency.
Overdose symptoms: inflammation and exacerbation of diseases of the digestive tract, sour taste in the mouth, caries, abdominal pain, cough, vomiting. An excess of citric acid increases the content of calcium ions in the body, causes a burn of the gastrointestinal mucosa, the oral cavity.
Products containing citric acid:
- black currant;
- a pineapple;
- citrus juices;
When baking pastry and bakery products, citric acid is replaced with lemon juice, and when canned with vinegar.
The effect of citric acid on the condition of the hair
The E330 supplement helps to eliminate the excessive oily skin of the scalp due to the narrowing of pores.
Due to the strong hardness of tap water, the hair loses its natural shine after washing, becoming dull, brittle and lifeless. To give them a healthy glow, silkiness is recommended after washing off the shampoo, rinse the hair with a solution with the addition of two grams of citric acid per liter of boiled liquid. After that, do not rinse the hair under running water. Wait for their natural drying. In order not to overdry the scalp and tips, it is not recommended to use a hairdryer to accelerate the evaporation of moisture.
After rinsing the hair with “lemon water”, the hair will become soft, supple, will get a healthy well-groomed appearance.
To restore weakened and brittle after dyeing the curls, prepare a firming mask based on the E330 supplement.
The principle of its creation is as follows:
- prepare 2 grams of citric acid powder, 5 grams of honey, 30 milliliters of aloe infusion, one egg yolk;
- mix all ingredients except herbal extract, mix until smooth;
- enter the aloe extract in the resulting mixture.
Apply a firming mask on the strands immediately after preparation, otherwise it will lose its beneficial properties. Spread the “lemon mixture” along the length of the hair, leave it on for 30 minutes. After the specified time, rinse the mask with warm water without using a balm or shampoo. The duration of the course depends on the condition of the strands. Vitamin composition can be applied to the hair every other day until they acquire a natural shine, strength.
In addition to strengthening the hair, citric acid is used to brighten the hair in a natural way, without the use of chemicals. To do this, boil, cool the water, dissolve 5 grams of Е330 in two liters of liquid. Apply the product regularly on washed hair 3 – 4 once a week. The effect of clarification will be noticeable only if you perform this procedure systematically, at least for a month.
Citric acid is a compound widely used in human life. In small doses (70 milligrams per kilogram of body weight), it does not harm human health, but on the contrary, cleanses the body of toxins and improves skin condition.
In addition, the substance kills pathogenic organisms that develop in infectious, catarrhal diseases. Excess substance is dangerous for people with gastrointestinal problems, kidney, because it provokes a relapse of the disease.
In addition to its use in cooking, medicine, and cosmetology, the E330 dietary supplement contributes to systematic weight loss. To get rid of extra pounds throughout the day, use acidified water. The amount of citric acid introduced into the liquid depends on the phase of weight loss. Drink a drink before each meal. In the first week, in 250 milliliters of water you need to dissolve 2 grams of E330 powder, in the second – 5 grams, in the third – 10 grams on an empty stomach and 5 grams before each meal, in the fourth – 5 grams before breakfast and 2 grams before lunch, afternoon, dinner.
This drink activates metabolic processes in the body, and in combination with honey, mint, ginger provides energy, rejuvenating effect. Despite the effectiveness of the technique (minus 7 kilogram per 28 days), doctors do not recommend using this method of losing weight, because it is unsafe for human health and can aggravate the course of chronic diseases.
Before practicing diet consult your doctor.