Preparation for the holiday season, of course, should be carried out in advance. If you want to shine on the sea in an open bathing suit, be sure to visit the beautician for the procedure of photoepilation of the bikini zone.
A simple but quite effective technique in just a few sessions will allow you to bring the intimate zone in perfect order for a long period of time, forget about ingrown hairs, as well as regular and annoying shaving. What are the strengths and weaknesses of photoepilation, in which cases is it shown, and when is not strictly recommended?
Regardless of the area being treated, the procedure is based on the emission of safe light waves. Such impulses should have individual parameters (intensity, penetration depth) and depend on the characteristics of each patient, his skin type and hair structure. In this case, the formation of more pronounced results occurs while reducing the risks of developing a number of side effects.
The directed light acts directly on the hair follicle and shaft, destroying the special pigment melanin contained in them. Irreversible changes occur after the first time, despite the fact that the technique requires several sessions. Part of the excess vegetation dies immediately, another – is modified, becomes thinner and more fragile in structure.
This partial result is explained by the fact that photoepilation works only at a certain stage of hair growth, in the phase of their growth. Since hairline renewal is uneven, it is logical to assume that it is impossible to form positive changes in just one session.
The procedure is usually divided into two directions: photoepilation of a deep bikini (removal of hair on the labia and perineum) and a simple bikini (removal of hair on the pubis). Indication for them is the presence of excess vegetation, which the patient wants to get rid of.
The technique is ineffective with very light, red or gray hair. They contain a minimum amount of melanin, which means that light radiation is simply not able to change their structure. In addition, despite all the reviews and assurances about the universality of the procedure regarding the type of skin, it should be remembered that increased swarthiness and fresh tan can be attributed to relative contraindications.
The main stages of the procedure
Photoepilation of the bikini zone is carried out in several stages. The exact number of sessions is determined by the beautician and, as a rule, equals 4 – 8 procedures. The break between them is approximately 2 – 4 weeks. Before the course, you may need to consult a gynecologist, dermatologist, as well as a specialist who will directly carry out the procedure. Such measures are not mandatory, but in most cases are completely desirable.
Photoepilation requires a preparatory phase. It consists of only two simple, but mandatory recommendations:
- Do not sunbathe (at least 7-10 days before the procedure).
- Shave off the hair in the bikini area (about a day before irradiation).
As for the duration of one event, it usually takes no more than 20 minutes. Before the procedure, the skin is cleaned and treated with a special cooling compound with an anesthetic effect. It relieves discomfort and minimizes the risk of burns. It is also recommended that the patient put on a special protective mask. In conclusion, the application of a special soothing composition makes the bikini zone.
The impact on the problem area is carried out through flashes of light. How many of them are needed to achieve a positive effect in the bikini zone, only a specialist can answer. On average, about 30 – 60 flashes, a deep bikini – up to 90 are performed to eliminate pubic hairline.
Separately, it is necessary to address the issue of painfulness of the performed manipulations. Quite often you can find reviews that photoepilation is very painful, however, there is often information that it does not cause pronounced unpleasant sensations. The majority of cosmetologists are inclined toward the latter, while forgetting about the different pain threshold of each patient. It should be noted that deep bikini photoepilation is more painful due to the high sensitivity of the skin in the intimate area.
Rehabilitation after the procedure
Restoring skin after light radiation takes approximately 5 – 10 days. The first few days, it is recommended to refrain from visiting the pool or swimming in the open water. Also, one should not take hot baths, treat the intimate area with any cosmetic compositions. Throughout the rehabilitation period, sunbathing or visiting the analysis should be avoided.
Any other, special recommendations are usually assigned to patients only upon the manifestation of complications.
Patient reviews often contain information that after the procedure various unpleasant reactions can be observed. The most common ones are:
- burning sensation or pain.
Such side effects are observed in most cases and pass on their own within one to two days. Unfortunately, there is evidence that the negative effects of photoepilation can be much more significant. So, in some situations were recorded:
- Burns (occur due to improperly selected radiation parameters or skin hypersensitivity).
- Purulent inflammation of the follicles (may be associated with a violation of the recommendations of the rehabilitation period, in particular, visiting swimming pools or ponds).
- Short-term rashes (resemble acne in appearance and do not require special treatment).
- Exacerbation of herpes.
- Allergy to light (manifested in the form of prolonged itching or rash).
- Scar formation.
- Pathology in skin pigmentation, change in hair color (after treatment of the zone, the growth of gray-haired rather than “colored” hair begins).
- Hypertrichosis (the formation of the opposite effect, after the procedure, the hair becomes no more weakened and rare, and begins to grow faster and denser).
Of course, photoepilation of a simple and deep bikini has certain contraindications. Their list is more than extensive and implies the following features of the patient’s body or its disease:
- viral and colds infections;
- pathology of the circulatory, vascular and cardiac systems;
- tendency to scarring;
- pathological sensitivity to sunlight;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- mental disorders;
- inflammatory formations in the intimate zone, the presence of cuts or other open injuries;
- recently acquired tan;
- moles and tattoos;
Despite the significant popularity of this kind of procedure, many patients (both real and potential) often have no idea how photoepilation really goes and what its features are characterized by. The most common myths are as follows:
- Photoepilation can trigger cancer. In fact, there are no studies or statistics confirming such a statement. Modern devices that generate light pulses have several protective filters and do not allow exposure of the skin to harmful radiation.
- The longer the radiation is conducted, the higher the chance of positive results. In truth, photoepilation is measured using flashes, not minutes. The specialist can send fewer pulses in a longer time interval, or decide that the effect should be carried out faster and meet the shortest possible time.
- Thanks to the procedure, you can get rid of hair forever. Confirmation of this fact does not exist. Experts leave reviews that photoepilation helps to get rid of hair for up to 5 years, all other information is mostly untested and inaccurate.
Before and after photos
Advantages and disadvantages
In conclusion, I would like to summarize a certain outcome about the procedure. The easiest way to do this is by listing its pros and cons based on the information above. So, its strengths include:
- Short-term session.
- The formation of a pronounced positive result after completing the full course.
- Safety in compliance with contraindications and recommendations for rehabilitation.
- The minimum number of complications, provided that the procedure is experienced and experienced specialists.
As for the shortcomings, they, of course, also exist. These include the high cost of manipulation, the presence of a rehabilitation period, a wide range of contraindications. In addition, often the final results are determined by the professionalism of the cosmetologist conducting the irradiation and the quality of his equipment.
Photoepilation of the bikini zone is one of the most common cosmetic procedures, the purpose of which is to rid the intimate area of excess hair. The principle of operation of the technique is based on the destruction of hair follicles by safe light radiation. Such an effect forms positive results only at the stage of active hair growth, which means that it requires systematic implementation.