Laser hair removal allows you to quickly and effectively get rid of unwanted hair for a period of 1 years to 5 years. The modern high-tech technique is based on the use of light energy, which contributes to the destruction of dark and light hair on the face and body. Its distinguishing features are minimal invasiveness, the absence of pronounced complications and the need for complex rehabilitation, as well as the duration of the results achieved.
Indications for use
Laser hair removal is performed in the presence of unwanted hair on the face and body. Indications for her are dark, blond and blond hair, both dense and thin (fluffy). Depending on their type, the cosmetologist selects the appropriate category of equipment. It should be noted that the technique is suitable for light or pale skin without tanning.
Laser exposure is practiced when other types of hair removal are not possible and you want a long-term effect.
Of course, laser hair removal has contraindications. It is recommended to refrain from the procedure when:
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- the presence of malignant tumors and other oncological diseases;
- diabetes mellitus;
- dark skin or fresh tan;
- varicose veins (relevant for leg hair removal);
- mechanical damage (open wounds, cuts) on the skin (relevant for the treatment area);
- individual intolerance to laser exposure;
- infectious skin diseases;
- exacerbation of pathological conditions (allergy, acute viral infections, chronic ailments);
- hypersensitivity of the skin, a tendency to scarring.
Epilation is not performed until the patient reaches 18 years.
Classic laser types
Now that the indications and contraindications for the procedure are defined, we will specify how laser hair removal eliminates unwanted hair. In the classical sense, light energy acts only on dark hair with colored pigment (melanin). It absorbs radiation and is destroyed, which leads to the destruction of the hair. In addition, the laser is converted to heat and destroys the bulb itself.
Laser hair removal affects only the hairs in the growth phase. To do this, shave the hair for 2 days before the procedure. Unfortunately, part of the bulbs are always at rest; light energy in this case is absolutely useless. To remove them, you must repeat the procedure after 4 – 7 weeks. To achieve the effect, up to 7 sessions are required. The indicated scheme and principle of operation are relevant for lasers of the following type:
- Ruby. It has a wavelength of 694 nm. Scope – dark hair, fair skin. A distinctive feature is the processing time (1 flash per second), the laser is designed to work with the surface areas of the dermis.
- Diode. In this case, the wavelength is 810 nm. It is used to remove hair or eliminate excessive stiffness. Scope – dark hair, dark and fair skin (no tan). Generates on 2 flashes per second, affects the deeper layers of the dermis.
- Alexandrite. The laser wavelength does not exceed 755 nm. The area of use is dark, brown, red hair with light or sensitive skin. This decision belongs to the category of modern and expensive, respectively. It is also used to reduce tattoos, reduce pigmentation.
Currently, laser hair removal is a procedure available not only for brunettes and brown-haired women, but also for owners of blond hair. In this case, the vessels that feed the hair bulb are destroyed, which ultimately leads to the complete destruction of the hair of any type.
According to a similar scheme neodymium laser with the most significant wavelength (it equals 1064 nm). The scope is light and dark hair on the skin of any type, the risk of burns is excluded in this case, since the laser does not affect the colored pigments in the dermis. Additional indications – the need for treatment of capillaries, scar reduction. The main advantage of a neodymium laser is the ability to generate up to 100 flashes per second.
Preparation for laser hair removal is an easy task. If possible, visit a specialist for a preliminary consultation, which determines the contraindications, and also selects the appropriate type of laser. The next step – the hair should not be removed mechanically (pulling out along with the bulb), but shaved off for at least 3 – 4 weeks before the session. At the time of the procedure, it is necessary to have a hair length of the order of 2-3 mm.
Most patients, after asking how to prepare for laser hair removal, are interested in how quickly you can evaluate the results and what you can ultimately rely on after a course of sessions. It should be noted that immediately after exposure to the laser, the hairs do not fall out, internal destruction lasts about 10 days, and only then visual results appear.
Up to 40% of hair is eliminated in one session, the remaining ones acquire a lighter shade and soft structure. According to the results of a full course of procedures, up to 80-90 percent of hair is destroyed. As for the duration of saving the results, it ranges from 1 years to 5 years. This period is determined by the following factors: gender of the patient and his hormonal background, quality of work performed by the cosmetologist.
Laser hair removal generates not only positive results, after it is carried out in 95 percent of cases, local reddening of the treated skin is observed, which persists for 2 – 3 days. Significantly less often in the place of hair removal, such effects as:
- blisters and burns;
- increased sensitivity and moderate soreness.
It is quite possible to reduce the risks of side effects and complications. To do this, you must follow three basic rules:
- Do not attend the procedure if there are obvious contraindications, as well as after sunbathing.
- Choose a professional cosmetologist who carries out high-quality work on the basis of modern equipment suitable for the type of hair and skin of the patient.
- Follow the recommendations for skin care after the procedure, as well as the frequency of the sessions.
Any intervention in the internal processes of the body should be accompanied by subsequent recovery. After laser hair removal, this period takes about 14 – 20 days.
On the first day, your main task is to prevent potential complications. It is not recommended to treat the skin with hot water, with the permission of a cosmetologist, agents that reduce irritation and burns (for example, Panthenol ointment, Bepanten) are used. They are used 2 – 3 once a day for a week. With burns, the frequency of use of ointments doubles.
After laser hair removal has been performed, it is recommended to refrain from a number of activities. So, during 7-10 days you should not:
- Sunbathe on the beaches and in the solarium, for a long time to be in the sun.
- Visit steam rooms, baths and saunas.
- Use hormones and antibiotics.
- Try to mechanically remove burn scabs.
- Going outside without the use of protective cosmetic products.
How much does laser hair removal cost?
Answering this question about cost, it should be noted that the price of the procedure is the sum of the number of outbreaks committed. The frequency of outbreaks is determined by such factors as: the density of the hair, their color and density of the structure. It should also be borne in mind that the price of the procedure consists of the following factors:
- A kind of laser platform and type of laser.
- Beautician qualifications.
- Availability of additional services.
Before and after photos
What is the danger of laser hair removal during pregnancy?
The harm to the procedure on the health of the mother and the fetus has not yet been identified. At the same time, gynecologists recommend not interfering with the natural course of pregnancy and exclude any possible risks.
Can laser hair be removed forever?
On average, laser hair removal eliminates hair for a period of about 5 years, the exact figure is determined by the hormonal background of the patient.
What kind of anesthetic cream is used for laser hair removal?
The most commonly used pain reliever cream is EMLA.
How to calculate the required number of sessions?
The number of sessions can only be calculated by a cosmetologist, it depends on the density of the hair, their structure, density, as well as their number.
Can laser hair removal be harmful to human health?
Laser hair removal is not harmful to human health, subject to safety precautions and contraindications. It is recommended to remember the presence of complications.
Is laser shaving allowed?
Not only allowed, but also recommended, but it is strictly forbidden to remove hair with the bulb.
Laser Hair Removal – removal of excess hair with a laser beam. The principle of its action is based on the destruction of melanin (the technique is relevant for dark hair) or blood vessels that nourish hair (for light). The maximum effect can be achieved after attending a course consisting of 4 – 8 sessions. As a result of laser exposure, it is possible to eliminate from 80 to 90 percent of hair for a period of 1 years to 5 years.