Vitamins for the eyes are useful compounds needed to strengthen the retina, stabilize the lens, improve microcirculation of tissues, eliminate eyelids and maintain visual acuity. In particular, these are nutrients A, B, C, lutein, selenium, potassium, zinc, omega – 3, anthocyanins.
It is known from school that 80% of information received by a person is visual. Therefore, it is important to closely monitor the health of your eyes. The modern way of life, scientific and technical progress does not contribute to this. The abundance of blue light sources (mobile phones, computers, tablets, laptops, energy-saving fluorescent lamps), unhealthy diet, bad habits, stress, poor ecology undermine the eyesight of young people, creating favorable conditions for developing eye diseases (cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration). To “mitigate” the negative influence of environmental factors on the eye, make up for the lack of vitamins and minerals in the body.
Remember, eye strain is not a pathological condition. This is only a symptom, like redness, the appearance of cracks, which suggest that, against the background of these signs, vision may deteriorate. Do not ignore the body signals. Only in this way does he indicate that he needs help and protection from outside.
Imperceptible impact on sight – blue light
It’s no secret that gadgets and computers have a negative effect on a person’s eyes. What is the cause of this phenomenon? The danger of technology is that it acts as a source of blue light, which promotes the formation of free radicals and reactive oxygen species. These substances oxidize lipids and proteins that make up the membranes of visual cells, damaging the visual apparatus.
To protect the organs of vision from free radicals, nature provides for regular renewal of retinal cells. In addition, antioxidants, which are represented by lutein and zeakstantin in the visual system, interfere with photooxidation. Only these carotenoids penetrate the retina, protecting the eyes from photodamage.
Until the year, lutein and zeaxanthin are present in the body of a child from birth, but later their synthesis stops, as a result, useful compounds can be obtained only with food.
The greatest amount of carotenoids is concentrated in dark green vegetables and yellow – orange fruits. To fill the daily need of the body for compounds, you need to eat 2 kilograms of carrots or 1,5 kilograms of bell pepper and 0,25 kilograms of spinach. This is possible, but problematic, so it is recommended to use vitamins for the eyes to improve vision. Drugs produced in the form of eye drops, tablets, capsules.
Who needs vitamins?
First of all, it is recommended to take nutritional supplements to people who are in the category of visual risk:
- with varicose veins;
- for visual impairment (astigmatism, glaucoma, cataract, myopia, hyperopia);
- diabetes, atherosclerosis, hypertension;
- with significant visual load after 40 years;
- with regular wear contact lenses;
- Persons spending more than 5 hours a day at the computer.
Vitamin – mineral complexes nourish the eyeball, strengthen blood vessels, improve vision, prevent the development of pathologies (myopia and hyperopia). The preparations, as a rule, include herbal ingredients (parsley, blueberries, carrots), which have a beneficial effect on the state of the eye.
Complexes are recommended to be taken twice a year: in autumn and spring. Without a doctor’s prescription, it is not safe to use the eye drops, as irritation of the sensitive organ can be obtained.
Natural source of vitamins
In the prevention of vision changes, carrots and blueberries play a key role.
In humans, beta – carotene is metabolized, then moves through the blood vessels and reaches the visual cells of the retina, where the perception of sunlight occurs, converting them into a nerve impulse that enters the brain.
The beneficial properties of blueberries are due to the presence of anthocyanin. The compound supplies the retina with nutrients, increases the activity of its enzymes, strengthens blood vessels, reduces eye fatigue. Blueberries are recommended to be used by drivers and people who regularly read when the light in the room is insufficient, and work a lot on the monitor.
With progressive myopia, the berry, together with vitamin E, suspends pathological changes in the tissues of the eye, supports vision.
Remember, the benefits will be maximum if you alternate the use of a variety of fruits, vegetables and foods rich in dietary fiber, omega – acids. To avoid addiction and reduce effectiveness, do not give preference to one ingredient.
Consider what products, in addition to blueberries and carrots, contain natural vitamins and carotenoids to maintain visual acuity:
- onion and garlic;
- chicken eggs;
- dark chocolate;
- fish (tuna, sardine, herring), fish oil;
- nuts (walnuts, wood, almonds, peanuts) and sunflower seeds;
- fruits (citrus fruits, apricots, kiwi, apples, bananas);
- sweet potato;
- orange pepper;
- white cabbage and brussels sprouts;
These foods are recommended to be eaten raw or included in the composition of dishes (salads, casseroles, vegetable caviar). After heat treatment, they are easier absorbed by the body, while the amount of components useful for vision in them is reduced by 15 – 30%.
According to research results, a balanced diet based on a combination of the products of the above groups prevents the risk of developing diseases of the organs of vision, protects against cataracts, free radicals, prevents macular degeneration and improves metabolism in tissues.
What vitamins are needed for the eyes?
Lack of nutrients in the body leads to a violation of the perception of information by the organs of sight.
Lack of riboflavin (B2) contributes to the sensation of “sand” in the eyes, pyridoxine (B6) – involuntary twitching of the eyelids, and retinol (A) – causes hemeralopia or “night blindness”, which in the neglected state leads to melting of the cornea.
By consuming a multivitamin complex for vision, you will correct a pressing problem and prevent the development of concomitant pathologies.
Nutrient list for maintaining eye health:
- Vitamin A. Strengthens the cornea, improves visual acuity, retains the ability to see clearly in the twilight. Food sources of retinol: milk, fatty fish, mountain ash, carrots, parsley, spinach. The daily need for a compound for an adult is 1,5 milligram.
- Vitamin C. Supports tonus in the eye muscles, counteracts hemorrhages, reduces the risk of cataracts and glaucoma, supports regenerative processes in the cornea and participates in reactions that provide oxygen to the organs of vision. Natural sources of ascorbic acid: citrus fruits, cabbage, sea buckthorn, garden herbs, blackcurrant. The daily rate is 100 milligrams.
- Vitamin B1. It normalizes intraocular pressure, is responsible for the state of the pupil, the quality of transmission of nerve impulses from the brain to the organs of vision, and resists glaucoma. Thiamine is found in brewer’s yeast, bran, flour products from wholemeal flour, liver. The daily rate is 1 – 2,5 milligrams.
- Vitamin B2. Strengthens the capillary grid in the organs of vision, improves the efficiency of the pupil. Riboflavin is present in almonds, fresh peas, egg yolk, cheese, liver, cottage cheese. The daily dose ranges from 1,5 to 3 milligrams.
- Vitamin B12. Participates in the stabilization of the nerve fibers in the organs of vision, supports normal blood circulation in the eyes. Products rich in cyanocobalamin: fish, herring, offal, beef, milk, cheese. The daily dose ranges from 2 to 4 milligrams.
- Lutein. It strengthens the retina and lens, protects the eye from pathological changes, ensures the full functioning of the eye, and inhibits the development of age-related macular degeneration. In addition, the carotenoid reflects the harmful blue color, inhibits the formation of free radicals, improves the performance of neurons in the central zone of the retina (bioelectric activity and light sensitivity). Lutein exhibits antioxidant properties, increases visual acuity, weakens the negative effects of solar radiation. The compound is present in the following parts of the eye: ciliary body, macular region, lens, iris, choroid. Lutein deficiency can lead to macular degeneration, diabetic angiopathy, glaucoma, cataracts. The best natural sources of carotenoid are kale, broccoli, spinach, melon, peaches, oranges, pumpkin, corn, raspberries, beets, and tomato juice. To maintain eye health, the daily norm is 6 – 10 milligrams.
- Anthocyanins. They are antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that protect against the development of retinopathy, strengthen the walls of retinal blood vessels, and remove lipofuscin from ocular tissues. Anthocyanins relieve fatigue and eyestrain. The greatest amount of nutrients is concentrated in blueberries and black currants. Daily intake – 100 milligrams.
- Zinc. A lack of mineral in the body leads to a deterioration in the ability of glucose uptake by the lens. Zinc deficiency over a long time increases the likelihood of cataracts. Trace is found in pumpkin seeds, asparagus, poultry, eggs, beef liver, seafood, fish. The daily requirement is 10 milligrams.
- Selenium. Prevents the accumulation of oxidation products and age-related destruction of the visual apparatus, protects the eye tissue from the influence of oxygen radicals. Products containing selenium: seaweed, crab, squid, buckwheat, oatmeal, garlic, olive oil, lard. The daily dose is 0,06 milligrams.
- Omega – 3. Improves nutrition, microcirculation of the eyeball, keeps the retina healthy, prevents the development of inflammatory processes. Remember, the human body does not synthesize the compound, so it is important to monitor the regular intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids with food. Sources of omega – 3 acids: flaxseed, rapeseed oil, walnuts. Daily intake – 1000 – 2500 milligrams.
- Potassium. Stimulates blood supply to the organs of vision, prevents their weakness, aging. The trace element is found in fish, milk, apples, cranberries, parsley, dried apricots, raisins, honey. Daily requirement – 4000 milligrams.
To maintain normal and improve vision, it is recommended to saturate the diet with foods containing carotenoids and regularly take vitamin-mineral complexes twice a year.
Eye Vitamins: Capsules and Tablets
When using drugs, remember that their spectrum of action extends to the entire body. Therefore, for urgent relief of the patient’s condition, it is better to give preference to “liquid” vitamins in drops, which act faster and more efficiently.
Popular preformed vitamins for the eyes:
- “Lutein Complex”. It is a powerful restorative drug that is indicated for heavy loads on vision, the elderly, with glaucoma, cataract or dystrophy of the retina. Tablets take one to three pieces per day with meals. Preventive treatment – 2 month.
- “Optix”. It is prescribed for people suffering from night blindness, diabetes, having problems with the lens, retina. In addition, the drug is recommended to take people with irregular meals. The course of treatment is 3 of the month. Tablets should be taken orally one at a time during meals.
- “Doppelgerts Active.” The main components of the supplement: blueberry extract, retinol, lutein. Helps regeneration processes, improves blood circulation in the eyes, it is recommended to restore vision after surgery in the eye. The dietary supplement is allowed without a prescription. Take pills once a day for 2 – 4 months. The effectiveness of the drug depends on the frequency of use.
- “Strix with blueberries.” Relieves discomfort in the organs of vision. These vitamins can be drunk as a prophylactic agent for people who spend a lot of time at the computer or are constantly working with welding. The course of treatment is 30 days. Take one tablet per day.
- “Slezavit”. It resists degenerative processes in the eyes that begin to develop in old age. In addition, this drug can be used by young people with vision pathologies of different etiologies. Slezavit relieves stress from the eyes, so it is assigned to children during intensive growth, drivers during long-term driving, while wearing contact lenses, and working in conditions of insufficient light. The admission course is a month. Use in adults and children older than 3 years with a meal, one capsule per day.
- “Focus”. Prevents the destruction of the retina and the development of eye diseases. It is forbidden to use the drug to children up to 14 years. The course of treatment is 1,5 – 2 of the month. Take one tablet once a day.
- Vitrum Vision. It improves metabolism in the eye analyzer, protects against the negative effects of free radicals, enhances visual acuity, strengthens the vascular system of the eye, and accelerates its recovery after surgery or injuries.
Indications for use: myopia, deterioration of dark adaptation, degenerative diseases of the retina, many hours of computer work, night blindness, diabetic retinopathy. Vitrum Vision take one tablet in the morning and evening after meals. The course of therapy is 3 of the month.
The following vitamin complexes for adults are also useful for the eyes: “Blueberry Forte”, “Aevit”, “Super Optician”, “Lutein Complex”. Vitrum Kids, Pikovit, Mertilen-Forte, Striks, and Mirtikam are suitable for maintaining the vision of a growing children’s body. An alternative to vitamin tablets complexes are eye drops. However, they can only be buried after prescribing by an ophthalmologist.
Remember, falling vision is a bad thing for any person. Regularly take care of the condition of the eyes, even if nothing bothers you. It is better to prevent the problem than to treat it and this is easier to do with the help of nutrients.
Eye Vitamins: Drops
Used for the prevention of age-related processes in the area of the lens, cornea, the prevention of cataracts, scars, keratitis and restoration of vision after hemorrhage.
To achieve a good result, vitamins for eyes in drops should be combined with calcium, zinc, lutein, retinol, ascorbic acid, tocopherol, thiamine, riboflavin, cyanocobalamin. Due to the extensive “radius” of action, the “liquid” drugs treat visual disturbances and prevent their relapse.
Vitamin drops for eyes:
- “Riboflavin”. Relieves stress, improves visual function, eliminates inflammation in the organs of vision. It is used in case of systematic eye fatigue, for healing wounds after a burn or irritation of the eye mucosa.
- “Taufon”. Neutralizes the effects of a dry eye, relieves redness, inflammation, fatigue, heals the mucous membrane or cornea if damaged, improves the nutrition of eye tissues with oxygen.
- Sankatalin, Quinax. It is relieved of “goosebumps” before the eyes, helps to optimize visual functions, fight inflammation in case of cataract.
- Kromoheksal, Octilia, Prenatsid. Eliminate the effects of an allergic reaction: burning, itching, watery eyes. A positive effect is achieved through 2 – 3 of the day. Used to treat conjunctivitis of allergic origin.
- “Katakhrom Vitafakol”, “Katakhrom”, “Vitafacol”. Neutralize the feeling of dryness in the eyes, clear the lens. Used in the primary stages of cataract nucleation.
- Ifiral, Hi-Krom. Relieves irritation of the mucous membrane, excessive fatigue of the organs of vision, struggling with cutting sensations, burning, dryness in the eye area.
- Japanese vitamin drops. Eliminate the discomfort when wearing contact lenses, blepharitis, long stay in a bright place.
Depending on the drug and symptoms, you need to bury your eyes from 2 to 6 once a day. The ophthalmologist individually prescribes the scheme, duration of treatment and type of medication on the basis of the patient’s clinical picture.
Vitamin complexes, proper nutrition, daily gymnastics for the eyes, full regular rest – an affordable way to maintain eyesight at a normal level and prevent the development of pathological conditions of the eye.
In addition, to relieve tension, it is recommended to use folk remedies. Namely, wash your eyes with an infusion of herb eyebrows, drink freshly squeezed juice from carrots or blueberries daily, smoothies made from chicory, parsley, and celery with honey.
Remember, our eyes reflect the state of health in general, therefore, making up for the lack of vitamins, micro and macro elements in the body, we restore visual acuity, while strengthening immunity and preserving beauty.