Pangamic acid (vitamin B 15, calcium pangamate) is an ether of dimethylglycine and gluconic acid, the so-called anti-toxic factor, discovered in 1950 year in Japan.
Biochemist T. Tomiyama was the first to isolate a nutrient from a bovine liver. A year later, the American scientist E. Krebs synthesized it from apricot seeds. Later, biochemists found that vitamin B 15 is widely distributed in nature: it is contained in the seed of plants. This led to the name of the substance, which arose as a result of a combination of two Greek words: “pan” – everywhere and “gamy” – seed.
The international name of the compound is Calcii pangamas.
Vitamin B15, like orotic acid (B13), belongs to the group of vitamin-like substances. These compounds are at the stage of detailed study.
- 1 The physiological role of vitamin B 15 and indications for use
- 2 Instructions for the use of pangamic acid
- 3 Sources of vitamin B15
- 4 Signs of deficiency and oversupply of B15
- 5 Therapeutic use of pangamic acid
- 6 Vitamin B15 in Sport
- 7 Interaction with other substances
- 8 Vitamin B15 in Oncology
- 9 Conclusion
The physiological role of vitamin B 15 and indications for use
The pharmacological properties of the vitamin determine the methyl groups that are present in the pangamic acid molecule. In biochemical reactions, nutrient acts as a donor of labile radicals. A light waste of methyl particles potentiates the transmethylation reaction, which accelerates the activation of cellular respiration and redox processes in the body.
As a result, the vitamin acquires lipotropropny, antioxidant and cytoprotective properties. Along with this, nutrient improves the synthesis of creatine, nucleic acids, steroid hormones and compounds necessary for the body to work.
The chemical formula of the compound is C10H19O8N2.
Pangamic acid is destroyed under the influence of UV rays, water. In pharmacies, the substance is sold in the form of a mineral supplement – a salt of the compound – calcium pangamate.
Vitamin B15 performs the following functions in the body:
- eliminates hypoxia in the vessels of the brain;
- regulates lipid, protein and calcium phosphorus metabolism;
- stimulates the adrenal glands;
- lowers cholesterol;
- involved in the synthesis of DNA, RNA (genetic material of cells);
- increases the level of absorption of oxygen by the tissues;
- protects liver cells from fatty rebirth;
- accelerates the regenerative processes of muscles and tissues;
- exhibits a moderate anabolic effect;
- increases cell life span;
- potentiates protein synthesis;
- increases the glycogen content in the liver;
- prevents hangovers;
- reduces the need for alcohol;
- increases the concentration of creatine phosphates in muscle tissue;
- prevents spasms of blood vessels and muscles;
- helps to lower blood pressure (as part of complex therapy);
- stimulates the “right” immune response.
Vitamin B15, due to its extensive pharmacological properties, is used as part of the complex treatment of various diseases (see p. “Therapeutic use of pangamic acid”).
Instructions for the use of pangamic acid
Indications for use of the compound:
- arteriosclerosis of blood vessels;
- emphysema of the lungs (increased air content in the bronchi);
- coronary insufficiency;
- bronchial asthma;
- obliterating endarteritis of the lower extremities;
- chronic hepatitis;
- syphilitic aortitis;
- itching dermatoses;
- damage to the arteries of the brain;
- cirrhosis of the liver;
- intense sports activities;
- alcohol and drug intoxication.
Along with this, vitamin C is used to improve the tolerability of corticosteroids, sulfonamides and anti-TB drugs.
Contraindications: glaucoma, arterial hypertension (severe forms).
Today, scientists have not established a daily prophylactic rate of pangamic acid, which a person should consume daily. According to the literature, it is 1- 2 milligrams per day. At the same time, for the treatment of certain diseases (rheumatism, vascular sclerosis, hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver), the therapeutic dose of the drug increases to 50 – 200 milligrams.
The need for nutrients also increases during intense exercise, because for normal muscle function (muscle performance), an increased amount of oxygen in the tissues is required.
Sources of vitamin B15
Today, pharmaceutical companies produce large quantities of daily pangamate calcium supplements.
When purchasing supplements, remember that the uncontrolled intake of synthetic nutrient (overdose or ignoring contraindications) in 50% of cases is harmful to human health.
Therefore, in the absence of prescription from the attending physician, it is advisable to get vitamin B 15 from food.
Where does pangamic acid (sources):
- Vegetable: brewer’s yeast, sesame, poppy, wheat, brown rice, pumpkin, watermelon, melon, apricot, peach, sunflower seeds, almonds, beans, lentils, corn, peas, beans, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, cereals (barley, wheat, rye, buckwheat), oatmeal, Brazil nut, eggs, rice bran, raspberries, apples, strawberries, pomegranates, plums.
- Animals: liver, kidney, animal blood.
- Synthesis in the body. A certain amount of pangamic acid is produced by healthy intestinal microflora.
Knowing which foods contain a vitamin-like compound will help to balance the daily diet and get nutrients daily in the right amount.
Signs of deficiency and oversupply of B15
A deficiency of pangamic acid is rare because, with a properly formulated diet, nutrient is supplied in sufficient quantities with food. However, with fasting, observance of hard mono-diet or gastrointestinal diseases (impaired absorption of nutrients) B15-deficiency deficiency develops. In addition, the lack of pangamic acid often occurs against the background of diabetes.
Signs of vitamin deficiency in the human body:
- deterioration of the skin;
- depressive state;
- reduced performance;
- tingling in the limbs;
- development of thyroid hypofunction;
- heart rhythm disorder;
- numbness of lips or fingertips.
Unless B15 hypovitaminosis is eliminated in time, oxygen supply to the cells of the organs is reduced, which leads to disruption of the proper functioning of the brain and a decrease in the production of hormones produced by the thyroid gland. Along with this, the risk of the development of pathologies of the heart, blood vessels, hypercholesterolemia and fatty degeneration of the liver increases.
Remember, even with indications for use do not self-medicate. It is important to select the daily rate of Pangamata calcium only after consulting with your doctor. Otherwise, symptoms of overdose may occur.
Signs of excess pangamic acid:
- headaches, migraine;
- constant fatigue;
- shortness of breath;
- muscle weakness;
When detecting B13 hypervitaminosis, the use of the drug, for safety reasons, should be stopped immediately. If necessary, conduct symptomatic therapy (gastric or intestinal lavage) and call a doctor.
Therapeutic use of pangamic acid
Vitamin B15 in its pure form is extremely rare, since it is quickly oxidized by oxygen and ultraviolet radiation. Therefore, in medical practice, calcium or sodium salts of pangamic acid (calcium or sodium pangamate) are used, which stimulate the endocrine glands (pituitary and adrenal glands), activate transmethylation enzyme reactions, enhance the body’s antioxidant defense, increase the body’s resistance, in particular the myocardium, to oxygen fasting. ” However, the clinical use of a vitamin compound for the treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, nervous, cardiovascular, musculoskeletal is still being studied.
Consider the cases in which pangamat calcium is used:
- Liver disease. Vitamin B15, as part of complex therapy, helps to increase the concentration of albumin in the blood, reduces the number of globulins to normal, than improves the albumin-globulin ratio. Along with this, the nutrient increases the level of creatine in the urine and blood, increases diurea and improves the patient’s health. used in liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, stagnation in the presence of alcoholism or circulatory disorders. Therapeutic dosage for intramuscular administration is 20 milligram 2 times per day, for oral administration – 40 milligrams per day.
- Pathology of the heart, blood vessels. Medicines containing pangamic acid are used to relieve post-infarction and pre-infarction conditions. After administration of the compound, respiratory chain enzymes are activated, creatine biosynthesis is enhanced, which is accompanied by improved myocardial trophism. Pangamic acid is used to treat atherosclerosis, cardiac hypertension, angina pectoris, coronary insufficiency (due to lipotropic and vasodilating properties). The daily dosage is selected by the doctor, depending on the patient’s condition and the severity of the pathology (from 30 to 100 milligrams per day).
- Neurological disorders. Pangamic acid is prescribed as part of the complex therapy of cognitive disorders, hysteria, seizures, epilepsy, hydrocephalus, cerebral palsy, bedwetting in children, depressive states and psycho-emotional overloads. In the “presence” of calcium pangamate, an element of group B is synthesized (hormone of happiness) – Choline, participating in the myelination of nerve fibers and strengthening the membranes of brain cells. Given the fact that vitamin B15 improves tissue respiration and the transmission of impulses to neurons, it has been successfully used zuyut in medical practice to eliminate multiple sclerosis brain. This is evidenced by the numerous studies of Dr. Benati. Thus, patients suffering from hemiplegia and other complications of the central nervous system participated in the scientist’s experiment. During the experiment, patients were injected with 25 milligrams of calcium pangamate per day (intramuscularly). At the end of the experiment, Benati testified that patients had increased emotional status, decreased speech impairment, and improved health.
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Due to the fact that vitamin B15 reduces the irritating effect of salicylic sodium on the adrenal cortex and enhances the pharmacological properties of cortisone and acetyl-choline, the compound is used as part of the complex treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Elimination of intoxication. Considering the fact that calcium pangamata has anti-toxic properties, the drug is used in acute alcohol poisoning, drugs, tetracycline antibiotics, chlorine-containing organic compounds. As a result of research, scientists noted that taking Vitamin B15 daily reduces cravings for alcoholic drinks and “intoxicants” substances.
The therapeutic dose of calcium pangamata ranges from 50 to 150 milligrams per day. The course of treatment is 18 – 40 days. If necessary, repeat therapy through the 3 month.
Vitamin B15 in Sport
Pangamic acid is an essential vitamin for athletes, as it helps to more easily transfer oxygen starvation of cells (anoxia). Performing strength exercises is accompanied by a significant expenditure of energy, which is produced as a result of the oxidation of nutrients. During intense workouts, the incoming oxygen is consumed instantly, as a result, the athlete’s body quickly develops a deficit that slows down energy production. As a result, the athlete, even with the correct distribution of the load, cannot lift the “necessary” weight or perform the required number of exercises designed to “work out” a certain muscle group.
Additional oxygen intake B15 helps to eliminate oxygen starvation in the cells and to start the work of muscle tissue. Nutrient increases energy metabolism in muscles (creatine phosphate and glycogen), as a result of which endurance and efficiency increase.
Because of this, calcium pangamat is taken for 2 weeks before the start of the competition, and the daily ration is enriched with products containing vitamin.
For athletes, the daily intake of substance – 100 – 150 milligram. Duration of use – 3 week. After 10, a daily break in your vitamin intake is resumed.
In the presence of high blood pressure, it is advisable to take the drug under the supervision of the attending physician.
Interaction with other substances
Vitamin B15 is a water-soluble compound that is easily destroyed by high temperatures and daylight. Short-term processing of products (for 5-7 minutes) on low heat under a tightly closed lid will help prevent nutrient loss.
Compatibility of vitamin B15 and other substances
- Pangamat calcium neutralizes the aggressive effects of toxic chlorine-containing substances, which, when inhaled, affect the mucous membranes of the internal organs.
- Vitamin B15 reduces the severity of side effects that occur after the use of tetracycline antibiotics, excessive doses of aspirin and sulfa drugs.
- Simultaneous intake of calcium ascorbate (organic vitamin C) and pangamic acid leads to increased antioxidant properties of both substances.
- Vitamin B15 potentiates the synthesis of choline.
- Pagamic acid enhances the pharmacological properties of beta-carotene, tocopherol and cyancobalamin.
- Vitamin-like compound improves absorption of corticosteroid and anti-tuberculosis drugs.
- Caffeine, nicotine, alcohol reduce the concentration of nutrients in the blood.
- Vitamin B17 enhances the oncoprotective properties of pangamic acid.
These interactions are important to consider when compiling a complex therapy for treating diseases.
Vitamin B15 in Oncology
Pangamic acid is an effective assistant in the fight against cancer. This is evidenced by the study of Israeli scientists who have developed a scheme for the transfer of mutated cells in the sleeping phase, by “turning off” in them oxygen-free energy production. The oncology patients participated in the experiment, who, according to the proposed schedule, took pangamic acid.
German biochemists have found that in a cancer cell, due to the processes of glycolysis and glutaminolysis, 4 is produced in times more energy than in mitochondria. At the same time, the work of the last organelles practically stops, however, they remain alive. Interestingly, the hydrolysis products of cancer cells suppress the functioning of mitochondria in healthy cells.
Since the concentration of glycolysis products is very high near the “foreign focus”, the killer cells cannot approach it to carry out an attack, since energy production ceases in them. This phenomenon explains the reason for the inactivity of the immune system on the growth of tumor tissue.
Israeli scientists have found that taking calcium pangamata, due to improved oxygen absorption by the tissues, leads to activation of mitochondria, as a result of which glutaminolysis and glycolysis in the focus of inflammation are suppressed. Saturated with pangamic acid, alien cells cease to release toxic substances, which helps natural killers to freely attack a cancerous tumor. At the same time, metastases are suppressed, and local inflammation stops growth at the time of immunotherapy.
Due to the cessation of the production of toxic substances, when taking 100 milligrams of vitamin B15 from a patient on 2 – an hour, pain syndrome disappears.
Thus, calcium pangamata transforms malignant cells into a “sleeping” state. Along with this, vitamin B17 is used, which enhances the pharmacological properties of pangamic acid. Against the background of immunotherapy, it is advisable to consume foods that contain these nutrients abundantly.
Pangamic acid is a valuable vitamin for the human body, as it participates in the regulation of protein and fat metabolism, prolongs the life cycle of cells, helps to synthesize enzymes and hormones, and accelerates recovery processes in tissues, especially after intensive training. In this case, remember, uncontrolled intake, accompanied by an excess of substance in the body, leads to the development of side effects, which is harmful to human health.
Since nutrient is present in almost every plant, it is preferable to use it with food in its natural form. At the same time, it is permissible to use biologically active additives of the substance in a dosage less daily.
Daily intake of foods rich in vitamin B15 is an “ideal” prevention of fatty liver, hypercholesterolemia and oxygen starvation of internal organs.