Vitamins for children – useful substances necessary for the full formation and development of the child’s body. They are responsible for the health of internal organs, the coordinated work of the endocrine and nervous systems, regulate metabolism.
If the children’s body does not have enough vitamins, it begins to function in an enhanced mode. There is rapid fatigue, cramps in the legs, headaches, memory deteriorates, there is a delay in development (mental or physical lag).
Remember, in childhood and adolescence, vitamins are needed in greater quantities than for adults, since during this period there is an intensive formation of the body. The key to health is proper nutrition, but due to the poor ecology, the nutrient content of the products has drastically decreased. Interestingly, over the past thirty years, the amount of organic vitamin C in plants has decreased by 90%. And children, above all, are subject to stress, stress, selective food. As a result, the body systematically lacks nutrients, deviations in development begin.
What is dangerous vitamin deficiency?
At the age of active development, the majority of children visit public places (kindergartens, theaters, cinemas, parks), the social life of the children expands, which leads to a sharp increase in the risk of catching acute respiratory infections. It is then that the question of the need for additional use of vitamin-mineral complexes to enhance immunity becomes relevant.
In the period of “restructuring” of the child’s body, the lack of nutrients leads to the following problems:
- loss of memory, appetite;
- hormonal imbalance;
- sleep disturbance;
- slow growth, development;
- increased fatigue;
- apathy, outbreaks of irritability, nerves;
- frequent infectious diseases;
- loosening of teeth, bleeding gums;
- slow wound healing;
- pallor of the skin;
- brittle nails, hair;
- dry skin;
- chronic fatigue;
- anemia, weakness;
- the formation of ulcers in the tongue, cracks in the corners of the mouth;
- photosensitivity of the eyes.
As a result, the child becomes sluggish, irritable, eats badly and sleeps. In order to eliminate these consequences, parents are recommended to enrich the diet of the child with fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs, nuts, and cereals and regularly conduct vitamin therapy with preventive purposes in the spring and autumn period.
Vitamins are divided into the following groups:
- Monocomponent, contain one type of organic compounds. These include ascorbic acid, vitamins A, E, K, D.
- Multicomponent, represent a symbiosis of nutrients. The composition of multivitamins include from two to ten substances. Popular drugs: Multi-Tabs, Vitaron, Biovital, Alphabet.
- Vitamin and mineral complexes. In the composition of such drugs include macro-and micronutrients. They are more balanced than mono and multicomponent vitamins. Due to the presence of minerals, these complexes have a much wider spectrum of action: they support visual functions, strengthen bones, teeth, improve memory, raise immunity.
Forms of release of vitamins for the child:
- chewing lozenges;
- marmalade figurines;
- effervescent tablets.
To make children’s preparations pleasant to the taste and attract the attention of children, dyes and flavors are added to them. Before buying, make sure that the selected complex is suitable for the child’s age. It is recommended to give preference to vitamin preparations with exact dosage (candies, lozenges, figurines). Children under one year do not give drugs that require accurate dose measurement (syrups, gels), because the child may be at risk of overdose.
The main vitamins for the child
Interestingly, the majority of nutrients when injected into the children’s body perform functions that do not occur in the body of an adult after taking the complex. They contribute to the biological processes of growth, the separation of tissues and internal organs by prescription.
Consider the list of the main ones:
- Vitamin A. Synthesizes proteins, participates in the formation of the skeleton and normal vision in the child, participates in the development of the lungs, digestive tract, and regeneration of the mucous membranes. 1 / 3 daily needs of beta-carotene should be eggs, sour-milk drinks, butter, cream, and 2 / 3 should be vegetable products (tomatoes, carrots, apricots, bell peppers).
- Vitamin B1. It supports mental activity, the normal course of carbohydrate metabolism in the body, improves the absorption of nutrients from food. Sources of thiamine: nuts, buckwheat, corn, potatoes, beans.
- Vitamin B2. It is responsible for the good condition of the skin, nails, hair, supports the growth of children. Foods rich in riboflavin: fish, cheese, milk, chicken.
- Vitamin B6. It regulates the functioning of the nervous system, it is necessary to improve memory, the formation of red blood cells, the development of the child’s immunity. Pyridoxine is present in offal, green pepper, cabbage, beef, eggs.
- Vitamin B9. Maintains the skin in good condition, prevents anemia. Sick children who should be given for appetite are especially in need of folic acid. Natural sources: mushrooms, onions, carrots, parsley, liver.
- Vitamin B12. Participates in hematopoiesis, activates the work of the baby’s nervous system. Cyanocobalamin is found in seafood, soy, eggs, cheese, and chicken.
- Vitamin C. Protects the child from bacteria, viruses, inhibits the development of allergic reactions, strengthens blood vessels, neutralizes the effect of free radicals. Ascorbic acid is concentrated in citrus fruits, rose hips, sea buckthorn, strawberries, and mountain ash.
- Vitamin D. Regulates the amount of calcium, magnesium in the body of a child. It is necessary for the full development of the skeleton. It is ingested with milk, butter, liver of animals or fish, eggs.
- Vitamin E. Increases the body’s defenses and stabilizes the circulatory, muscular, and nervous systems. Tocopherol fights against free radicals, supports the sexual development of adolescents. Tocopherol is found in lettuce, eggs, seeds, linseed, sesame oils.
- Vitamin PP. Regulates metabolism and ensures the assimilation of all necessary components of food: minerals, fats, proteins, carbohydrates. In addition, nicotinic acid converts glucose and triglycerides into energy, which contributes to the growth of tissues in the child. Sources of compound: peanuts, pine nuts, peas, squid.
- Vitamin N. Supports healthy skin. Foods rich in biotin: corn, pistachios, oatmeal, barley groats.
- Vitamin K. Participates in the circulatory system. Menadione is found in cauliflower, onions, broccoli.
- Iron. It supplies the child’s internal organs with oxygen, participates in hematopoiesis, the formation of hemoglobin. Recommended for children from 1 year. Products containing iron: green vegetables, rabbit meat, turkey.
- Zinc. It accelerates wound healing, supports visual acuity, participates in the formation of the baby’s bones, strengthens the immune system, releases vitamin A. A trace element is present in legumes, nuts, and seafood. Most of all, a child’s body needs zinc from two to three years old.
- Calcium. Participates in metabolic processes, serves as the basis for bone tissue, is needed for the growth and functioning of nerve cells. It is found in dairy products, rose hips, hazelnuts, sesame, poppy seeds.
- Phosphorus. It acts as an “energy carrier” – delivers energy through the cells. Together with calcium, it supports bone strength. Natural sources of phosphorus: milk, seafood, dried yeast, cottage cheese.
- Magnesium. Participates in the transmission of nerve impulses, has an anti-stress effect. The trace element eliminates irritability, tantrum, restless sleep in a child. Natural sources of magnesium: buckwheat, soy, bran, pumpkin seeds.
Calcium, phosphorus and magnesium are recommended for children from 3 years.
Thus, these are the main vitamins and macro-, microelements necessary for the growing body of the baby. The daily requirement of each nutrient depends on the age of the child. It is easiest to supply the child’s body with vitamins and minerals with the help of children’s multivitamin complexes. Do not forget about the need to organize good nutrition: enrich it with fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs and lactic acid products.
Vitamin and mineral complexes for children
Consider which preference for preference at different ages:
- Lactation period. Remember, during breastfeeding, nutrients are better absorbed by the body of the baby in the composition of breast milk. Therefore, during this period a woman should use the following drugs: Vitrum Prenatal, Biovital, Alphabet Mom’s Health. In addition, enrich the diet with fresh food, drink natural juices (not store). This is the best way to get the missing vitamins and microelements for newborns.
From 1 to 2 years. During this period, it is recommended to limit the intake of vitamin D (Akvadetrim, Vigantol) to prevent the development of rickets. In addition, to enhance the children’s resistance to colds, enter ascorbic acid, beta-carotene. For example, the complex Multi-Tabs Baby, Vitoron or Kinder Biovital gel. During the reception of vitamin-mineral complexes watch the reaction of the child’s body. In the event of adverse reactions (increased excitability, skin rash), the drug is stopped and turned to a pediatrician.
From 2 years to 5 years. During this period, the child grows intensively, the skeletal system is actively formed. At this age, it is important to monitor the regular intake of iron, zinc, folic acid, vitamins A, E, C, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus in the baby’s body. The balance of these nutrients provides the laying of healthy teeth and a strong bone system. Recommended vitamin and mineral complexes for babies from two to five years old: Centrum for children (extravitamin C or extracalcium), Pangexavit, Unicap Yu, Alvitil, Pikovit. From 4 years, the drug Multi-Tabs Kid is introduced, which is an extended version of Multi-Tabs Baby. It contains chromium, iodine, zinc, selenium, vitamins A, C, D, E, B.
From 5 years to 7 years. This is the period of preparation for school during which the child is subjected to increased physical and mental stress. In addition, there is increased body growth, posture is formed. At this stage of development, the children need zinc, iodine, and B vitamins. They improve concentration, motor skills, and memory of the child. In 6 years, the kid goes to school, faces pathogenic microorganisms, often suffers from infectious diseases (acute respiratory infections, rubella, chickenpox, scarlet fever). Due to the age immaturity of the immune system, the child is sensitive to the effects of toxins produced by the action of disease agents. Accumulating in the children’s organism, they become a “time bomb”, they inhibit the formation of defensive forces, and cause chronic diseases. What better vitamins to take in this period? Vitrum Plus, Alphabet, Multi-Tabs Classic, Centrum Children’s Pro. To protect the body from viral, bacterial infections, it is recommended to drink Oligogal-Se or Triovit for six months.
From 8 years to 10 years. This period is associated with active growth of the body, an unusual mode of the day, a change in milk teeth, a complex rhythm of life. The child’s body needs an increased amount of copper, zinc, phosphorus, ascorbic acid, vitamins A, B, E, PP, D3. Making up for the lack of nutrients in the child’s body, you can protect the child from violations of physical, psycho-emotional development. From 8 years you can give the following drugs: Vitrum Junior, Pikovit Omega3, Alphabet “Schoolboy”. For fast growth of organs and tissues, increase the amount of protein in the diet of the child. A complete diet with the necessary minerals and vitamins will ensure the correct physiological metabolism and the successful completion of the formation of the endocrine system.
- 11 years. Characterized by a disorder of the emotional background in schoolchildren. To maintain the child’s mental equilibrium, doctors recommend taking Pikovit brand products or B vitamins.
From 12 to 18 years. This is a time of intense human growth and puberty. At this period, “falls out” “transitional age”, passing exams, entering universities, which are accompanied by excessive mental stress, stressful situations. To maintain health, teenagers are advised to take nutrients A, C, E, PP and Group B. They are part of the following complexes: San-Sol, Complivita, Duovita, Biovital and Multivita Plus. In 14 years, schoolchildren enter sports sections, as a result, the body of young men and women is subjected to a double load: it supplies cells with energy for intensive growth and covers the costs for maintaining an active lifestyle. Therefore, include in the diet of the teenager good complex vitamins: Complivit-active, Unicup M., Complivit, Duovit, Metabalans 44, Alphabet Teenager.
At any age, a child is destructive lack of nutrients in the body. Remember, pharmacy vitamins take 1 – 2 times a year for 3 – 4 weeks. In search of the drug, do not dwell exclusively on artificial additives. The main source of vitamins for children of all ages should be food.
Principles of choice and acceptance
Multivitamin complexes for a growing body must meet the following requirements:
- strengthen protective functions;
- adapt the body to increased physical, emotional stress;
- be hypoallergenic;
- without artificial colors, preservatives;
- improve intellectual development.
It is recommended to stop the choice on the preparations of pharmaceutical companies that have proven themselves and have positive reviews. To protect your child from forgery, do not buy vitamin-mineral complexes from your hands, on the Internet, outside pharmacies, since their quality and composition are questionable.
How to take vitamins for children?
When taking nutrients for the first time, monitor the condition of the child, since new drugs, like products, can cause allergies.
After purchase, store sweet pastilles, lollipops or syrup in a dark place inaccessible to children (on the top shelf of the wall-mounted kitchen cabinet). They must be strictly metered, in accordance with the instruction or prescription of the pediatrician, by adults.
The most favorable period for the saturation of the growing organism with nutrient compounds is May-June and September-October. It is not reasonable to start taking vitamin complexes during the summer heat, the height of the cold season.
Drugs use courses for two to three weeks with a three-month break. It is advisable to take them with food in the morning, when energy consumption is maximum, and the body is in a state of wakefulness and can absorb nutrients well.
In the summer, discard vitamin tablets in favor of natural sources of nutrients (vegetables, fruits, and greens). To strengthen the immune system, it is recommended to combine reception of the complexes with sports activities and tempering procedures.
Vitamins for children – nutrients that are involved in the full formation and development of the child.
Each age has its own combination of essential nutrients. For babies enough of those vitamins and minerals that are found in breast milk. Preschool children have a need for compounds A, C, D, E, B, zinc. And teenagers need PP, D3, omega-3, calcium, phosphorus, iron.
Hypervitaminosis is no less dangerous than vitamin deficiency, so consult a pediatrician before taking the complex.
Remember, stock up with water-soluble vitamins (B, C, H) will not succeed, because they do not accumulate in the body, their excess is excreted in the urine. Only fat-soluble nutrients (A, D, E) can be “stored in reserve”, but overdosing them can lead to intoxication of the body.